Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Global Posts
    1,724 Global Posts
    I am unsure on BB10 and I will tell you why. As a mobility engineer I am responsible for our mobile stuff here at my work. We have a BES and we use Good Mobile Messaging. BB10 requires a brand new BES server, they won't work on the existing BES. So in order for businesses to move to BB10, they have to make the choice to spin up yet another managment environment. Of our 1100 corporate owned devices, only about 120 or so remain Blackberry (used to be 900 a few years ago.) Somebody is going to have to convince the right people to spend time putting up a BB10 environment. So it's not a slam dunk.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    I'm not a mobility engineer, but I did manage our company's BB server. We're much smaller than your company, at our height we had 25 licenses all fully active, now we have the free BlackBerry Server Express running but I don't think we have a single BB device left. I didn't know that BB10 requires a new BES server, that does kinda complicate things. Do you know if they're going to have a BIS service for BB10? They'd pretty much have to, I'd assume, but I've known companies to make dumber mistakes. :)

Global Posts
    1,724 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    I'm not a mobility engineer, but I did manage our company's BB server. We're much smaller than your company, at our height we had 25 licenses all fully active, now we have the free BlackBerry Server Express running but I don't think we have a single BB device left. I didn't know that BB10 requires a new BES server, that does kinda complicate things. Do you know if they're going to have a BIS service for BB10? They'd pretty much have to, I'd assume, but I've known companies to make dumber mistakes. :)
    I don't know if they will have BIS or what. To be honest I have spent no time looking into it. BB10 devices will also support ActiveSync so that could be an option for some shops if they just use ActiveSync.

Other things in favor of BB10 is something WP8 lacks.. S/MIME for encrypted email. It STILL doesn't support it. I don't know if BB10 does, but all their older OS's do. It's not a big deal on the consumer side, but that is pretty much the only reason I still have a BES.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Honestly? Gah, I hate to say this, but no. For as much as I love WP8 and my Lumia 820, it's become a Surface mini for Xbox Glass and 'net browsing use so I don't have to pull out my laptop in the living room, while my iPhone 4S is the phone I'm carrying with me. The reason is that the apps I regularly use just aren't on WP8. Normally I would ditch the unused phone in heartbeat, but I like WP8 and the 820 too much to sell it and I really want WP8 to succeed so I'm holding out, heh.

But I'm having a hard time thinking that WP8 is going to beat out BB10, though, especially if BB10 gets Instagram (and other apps) right out of the gate. It saddens me, really, because WP8 has the potential to clean house... it's such an advanced and slick OS, and the integration with Win 8 on the desktop and tablet is unlike any other. But... c'est la vie. If nothing else, I've got myself a cool little mini tablet to play with. :)
    im right there with you. Every word identical to my thoughts haha. I'm preying for them and yes they DO have the ability to clean house they just need the damn APPS!
    AND YES im preying that BB10 doesn't get insyagram and others out the gate. Microsoft will have a fit, and if they can't get the devs on board, they KNOW they're screwed! I've been reading, and ZDNet says BB10 is what they're most excited about although they WANT to have faith, like us, in W8. ITS scary. If the bloggers are on board... Ahhhhh lol
    Gamertag: Zee A Double K
    Words W/ Friends username: zakkF
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Ok, we're screwed.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Ok, we're screwed.
    yup were screwed lmao. Crackberry usually knows what they're talking about. We will officially be the only top platform without some legit apps. :) *switches back before anyone notices*
    Gamertag: Zee A Double K
    Words W/ Friends username: zakkF

Well, this nokia lumia is ****ing amazing, fast and so much more! But all app are terrible! If you want to give a valor and quality, Mr Windows, buy all goods app to wp or everybody will sell that ****. Me too! Come on, pay to have better!

Quote Originally Posted by David Marques View Post
    Well, this nokia lumia is ****ing amazing, fast and so much more! But all app are terrible! If you want to give a valor and quality, Mr Windows, buy all goods app to wp or everybody will sell that ****. Me too! Come on, pay to have better!
    what apps specifically are terrible?

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I'll start:

MS PDF Reader (the only PDF viewer currently available for WP8)
    tripleM87 likes this.

Sign this petition to get Instagram on the Windows app market it only needs 40 something more signatures and WE NEED INSTAGRAM. I got the 8X and expected it to be on there but it still isnt -_- sign this petition and make a change!!! http://www.change.org/petitions/inst...are_after_sign
    tissotti likes this.

done!

Done.

it would be nice to have Instagram for windows phone 8. Sign this petition !

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Here's the question: If they did create an app, and they only updated it to fix bugs early on, then left it in the store for months without changes, would we be fine with that?

966 isn't a whole lot... Did my part. Hope to see a lot more on there.

this should be posted in the giant 4 page thread on the WP8 forum, the forum is super tired of the constant IG threads

Sign this petition to get instagram on Windows and SPREAD THE WORD PLEASE WE NEED IT http://www.change.org/petitions/inst...re_before_sign

I'll sign it...great post. Ignore the dumb haters. WP8 needs Instagram....and many other apps to really break through.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    Petitions are dumb.

I hate to be a spammer but SIGN THIS PETITION TO GET INSTAGRAM!!! please http://www.change.org/petitions/inst...re_before_sign

Then stop spamming.
    And petitions are very dumb.
    Especially for an app like Instagram.

There are better and more important features that Microsoft and third party developers should be working on bringing to WP8.

Come on, guys. If people want to push a petition for Instagram, let them be. After all, the worse it can do is help the platform.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

Chris Weber says in an article here in WPCentral that both Nokia and Microsoft are already putting a lot of effort for getting Instagram for WP8. I don't think any petition is needed here, they know that Instagram is popular and want to offer it as soon as possible.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    No, petitions won't help the platform. App publishers aren't the US government where a certain number of signatures requires some kind of action. What will help the platform is people using Windows Phone; what good is a petition going to do when prospective app publishers see a less than 2% usage rate (or whatever it is now)?

So a petition with 200k+ signatures wouldn't get the attention of Kevin Systrom & Mike Krieger?? hmm....

Agreed on the latter.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast