I need to be able to read text files from an external remote source, or a web server. Can anyone tell me how that works?

we need more information. What kind of web server ? Does it need authentication ? More details please.

If I have 5,000 text files (averaging about 100 lines of text -> so not very big), and I want to have an interface where I have a search functionality by name of the file, and when I find the one I want it loads the content into a textbox. I could save it in IsolatedStorage too.
    Do you already have middleware (files) on the server with functions you can call? It almost seems like you would have to have something on the server side to query the files there, or we thinking more along the lines of ftp?
    Last edited by Catholic Tech Geek; 01-16-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    rom developer for Asus Mypal A6x6 and Axim X50 (and soon, LG Quantum too) and (former) Microsoft Student Insider

My work is free for everyone's use, but if you wish to give a donation towards my work (I am a recent college grad working in what little spare time I have), you may do so (paypal email is toa649@myway.com).

Check out my blog for news on mobile Windows and other tech: Catholic Tech Geek

Students, check out Dreamspark for the tools you need and Imagine Cup if you want a challenge
    Developer

Guzimrama,
    You will most likely need a server-side application (e.g. web service). REST services would give you the type of functionality you're looking for. From your WP app you would simply use a WebClient to call the services and pull the data down.