Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I'm contemplating developing a WP8 app for my website, but have a few questions.

Is it possible to download the required tools without signing up for the developer program? I want to make sure I can do the development myself before shelling out the $100.

How do you test? Is there an emulator included in the developer pack?

Think that's it for the moment. Thanks in advance.

If you happen to have a Dreamspark account through your university, you can get a free developer account and access to the dev tools. There is an emulator included with the pack. What I'm unsure about (as I've only done WP7) is if the new tools require Windows 8 to develop WP8 apps.

Edit: WP8 dev tools do require Windows 8.

Anyone can download Visual Studio Express for Windows phone

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone | Microsoft Visual Studio

The main two requirements are that you need Windows 8 and to run your apps on the built in emulator you need a modern CPU that supports Hyper-V. If you don't have a Hyper-V CPU then you can test apps on your phone but you will need to shell out the $100 to unlock it with a dev account.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1101x10 View Post
    Anyone can download Visual Studio Express for Windows phone

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone | Microsoft Visual Studio

The main two requirements are that you need Windows 8 and to run your apps on the built in emulator you need a modern CPU that supports Hyper-V. If you don't have a Hyper-V CPU then you can test apps on your phone but you will need to shell out the $100 to unlock it with a dev account.
    Thanks for the responses.

I do have windows 8 so that's no problem. I'll have to check the processor though as I'm unsure. What's the best way to check? Is there a tool for example? And do you need to spend the $100 to get access to the emulator?

Thanks.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,472 Global Posts
    No the emulator is included and can be used free. You won't need to pay for that. You only need to pay if you want to test on an actual device.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Great stuff. Thanks for the help. Now I just need to find the time.

To check for Hyper-V you can use the coreinfo utility

What is SLAT and How to Check whether your CPU Supports it?
    Thanked by: