I'm not a developer, but I did have a question about development.

Are apps sandboxed from each other so that they can't communicate?

Can one app launch a different app?

I mainly ask because I'd like to see some sort of custom hub made that acts like a folder to a user. Where opening this app/hub just brings you to a bunch of links/tiles of other apps that you've put there.

Like how the XBOX hub works with games, but instead with customer chosen applications. Is this even possible with WP8?
    I'm also wondering the same thing. If so, how would one call the app? Is there a way to make it automatically launch when called on a certain page? I know, like in Draw Something, it's able to call for Facebook in a IE window, but that's not really an application call...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,418 Global Posts
    This is also going to be really useful for me if I develop a WP 1Radio app. As it will need to call the Xbox Music player to put the playlist in. (due to the way slots work on the station, this will prevent dead air during a DJ handover). I know I would use this all the time and as 1Radio would play in the background you could then like partake in the shoutbox and such. I think it would be brilliant.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I'm not a developer, but I did have a question about development.

Are apps sandboxed from each other so that they can't communicate?

Can one app launch a different app?

I mainly ask because I'd like to see some sort of custom hub made that acts like a folder to a user. Where opening this app/hub just brings you to a bunch of links/tiles of other apps that you've put there.

Like how the XBOX hub works with games, but instead with customer chosen applications. Is this even possible with WP8?
    Eh, somewhat. You can launch apps using a URI if you know the correct one and if it subscribes to one.

See: Auto-launching apps using file and URI associations for Windows Phone 8