Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

EDIT :
    Version 2.0 has just been pushed. Here are the features of that new version :
    - Downloads file directly to the "music + videos" library of your phone
    - Integrated browser, intercepts detected audio file transfers.
    - Form to paste an url and download it
    - Multiple downloads (paid version only. The trial version is limited to 1 download at a time)
    - Background downloads : downloads continue even after the app is closed. You will have to re-open the app for them to get added to the library though.
    - Possibility to cancel a download before it's finished

MP3 to Library | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

A feature that I was missing on Windows Phone 8 was the ability to get mp3s from the net and save them directly to the music library. It was not possible, so I created my own app for that, since the new SDK (Windows Phone 8 SDK) allows that.
    The result is a simple app where you just paste an url and it downloads the file and adds it to your library :)
    Further updates will bring SkyDrive support and zip files support, as well as better handling of urls.

Any feedback/suggestions/feature request appreciated ! :)
    Last edited by Benjisbrk; 06-28-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    deadwrong03 likes this.

Wow, thank you. I'll try your app as soon as possible.

awesome! I believe I saw a similar app on the app marketplace at some point, but still very cool. I will def choose yours since you posted on wpcentral lol.

do you have any suggestions on good sites to find the links to music?
    Quote Originally Posted by odoggyfresh View Post
    awesome! I believe I saw a similar app on the app marketplace at some point, but still very cool. I will def choose yours since you posted on wpcentral lol.

do you have any suggestions on good sites to find the links to music?
    Mp3skull.com
    Thanked by:

I tried to find one that has this functionnality but could not. I'd be interested to know if there are any other

Quote Originally Posted by Benjisbrk View Post
    I tried to find one that has this functionnality but could not. I'd be interested to know if there are any other
    MP3 Downloader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) that is the app that I remember seeing, never used it though.

MP3 Downloader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) that is the app that I remember seeing, never used it though.
    Seems like it was released after mine, that's why I didn't find it :)
    I've been working today on one of the functionalities that this app has : an included web browser. It's finished and will also be in the next update, and it does work better than the one in MP3 Downloader : I've been able to download a track from soundcloud, which I couldn't do with the other app.
    odoggyfresh likes this.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I would love zip file support so when I download an album I can unzip it and add it to my library!

not sure if you have any control over this, but I can't download the app since I am in the US
    Thanked by:
    not sure if you have any control over this, but I can't download the app since I am in the US
    Maybe you would want to try changing your region setting to the UK and see if you can download it?
    Nokia Lumia 620 - White

The ability to edit the songs information would be huge...

Quote Originally Posted by JetLife87 View Post
    I would love zip file support so when I download an album I can unzip it and add it to my library!
    That's the idea :) Although it requires quite some work and I don't even have time for finishing the basic features I want in the next version right now. So it will probably be in the following iteration

Really ? hm I'll look into it. Does anybody else from the US have this problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by homieson89 View Post
    The ability to edit the songs information would be huge...
    I'll probably be adding this too... which brings me to that other point :

Some ********* posted fake reviews on my app. He was not really careful, since his comments all reference his own app, says mine is crap, doesn't work (I doubt he even tried it to be honest) and says you can't even change ID3 tags (which was not really a feature I imagined to be mandatory, but since a few person asked for it...)
    I emailed him, to ask him for an explanation, and he dared say it wasn't him, even though his name on the reviews is the same name as on the email reply I got from him and the geographical location matches too. I won't name and shame, I'll just say his app is way overpriced in my opinion for what it does, and only lets you download 4 files in the trial version. Thanks to him though, for giving me ideas and showing me what not to do :)

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Sign me up for requesting the ability to add ID3 tags. Had a music podcast I wanted to download today (for some reason wpodder wasn't liking the rss feed), discovered this app but when it downloaded the MP3 the app just closes out and the file is nowhere to be found in my music library. Not sure if it's because the file might not have any ID3 tags at all, or because it's too big?

Benjisbrk - for your reference to pinpoint the issue the file is the latest Going Quantum podcast - The Going Quantum Podcast - Episode 82 - Liquid Dubstep Mix + Dubba Jonny Guest Mix

Quote Originally Posted by JetLife87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazTyldsley View Post
    Sign me up for requesting the ability to add ID3 tags. Had a music podcast I wanted to download today (for some reason wpodder wasn't liking the rss feed), discovered this app but when it downloaded the MP3 the app just closes out and the file is nowhere to be found in my music library. Not sure if it's because the file might not have any ID3 tags at all, or because it's too big?

Benjisbrk - for your reference to pinpoint the issue the file is the latest Going Quantum podcast - The Going Quantum Podcast - Episode 82 - Liquid Dubstep Mix + Dubba Jonny Guest Mix
    I know why it crashed, it's due to a bug I fixed a while back (but not on the currently published app) : when the generated filename has a "?" in it, it crashes. It seems to be the case here, since it would make the filename as "?p=episode&name=2013-02-14_2013-02-14_goingquantumpodcast_82.mp3"

I'll work this weekend to release an update that fixes a few problems I found, including this one.

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjisbrk View Post
    I know why it crashed, it's due to a bug I fixed a while back (but not on the currently published app) : when the generated filename has a "?" in it, it crashes. It seems to be the case here, since it would make the filename as "?p=episode&name=2013-02-14_2013-02-14_goingquantumpodcast_82.mp3"

I'll work this weekend to release an update that fixes a few problems I found, including this one.
    Appreciate the explanation and the fix in the works. Looking forward to the updates :) very useful app to have.

I just finished the last modifications and I'm going to submit.
    Here are the new features :
    - Multiple downloads (only 1 simultaneous download in trial version)
    - Possibility to cancel a download before it's finished
    - Fixed various bugs. Now it makes sure that what you download is legit so it won't fill your library with crap.
    - Background downloads : downloads continue even after the app is closed. You will have to re-open the app for them to get added to the library though.
    - Integrated browser, intercepts detected audio file transfers.

I'll submit it tomorrow, so the update should arrive before next weekend.

Just Wanted to thank you for the wonderful app ! for all the people that bash the windows store..I had an iPhone for 2 years..and never saw an app that can do this. A bunch of apps could download songs into the app itself but not into the "iPod", I honestly find this app more useful then instagram lol .. Just wanted to thank you for your hard work and a quesrtion, aside from mp3skull what good download websites are found to be working ? Thanks again !

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsalame View Post
    Just Wanted to thank you for the wonderful app ! for all the people that bash the windows store..I had an iPhone for 2 years..and never saw an app that can do this. A bunch of apps could download songs into the app itself but not into the "iPod", I honestly find this app more useful then instagram lol .. Just wanted to thank you for your hard work and a quesrtion, aside from mp3skull what good download websites are found to be working ? Thanks again !
    Thanks ! Well I never did iPhone dev (I'm allergic to Mac OS) but I think the SDK does not provide the possibility to access the music library (not to write in it anyway). They really want you to use iTunes, and with Windows Phone 7, it was kind of the same problem. With Windows Phone 7 you had to use Zune to transfer music. Now you can just copy/paste your music to a directory so it only makes sense to give the possibility to write in the library in the SDK too.

I submited the update, now comes the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ChazTyldsley View Post
    Appreciate the explanation and the fix in the works. Looking forward to the updates :) very useful app to have.
    By the way, I tried downloading your file with the updated app and it did work

I am going to give your app a try. I have been looking for something like this since I switch to WP8.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulsalame View Post
    Mewseek downloads straight into iPod on iPhone. And u can edit names and artists before syncing over. U have to jailbreak it though. But so worth it. I have my iPhone just for this reason, downloading music. I use my Lumia 920 as a regular phone though.

The update has just been approved. It should be a matter of hours before you see the update popping.

EDIT : it's already appeared on my phone, but not on my work phone. I rebooted it and it showed up too, so if you can't see the update, reboot the phone and manually search MP3 to library, then it should work.
    Last edited by Benjisbrk; 02-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Aaaah, crap... I just realised that with a free app updated to paid+trial model, any previous free install that updates to the new version is considered paid (until you reinstall it). That means all of the previous installs won't have any ad impressions anymore and won't give me any revenue.
    So, if you happen to read this and feel like you should reward my work, be kind enough to either reinstall the app to get the ads back, or buy it :) (but of course nothing can make you do it...)

I submitted the 2.1 update today, that should resolve the problem I'm describing above, and fixes a few bugs. It also brings better Background Transfer handling, with more information on the status being displayed. Now, if you download a file bigger than 20MB, it will need WiFi, and a file bigger than 100MB will require you to be plugged. I can't change anything about that (the API is designed that way).

I ran into a bit of trouble. I removed the app from the store for the moment because I realised anybody who got the app for free would have the paid version after updating, even after removing the app. I don't want that as it would mean that anybody who previously had the app would not give me any ad revenue anymore. And after passing to a paid app, the downloads dropped veeeeery low (they were vidived by 5 !), so it seems having a paid app is not a good idea.

So what am I going to do ? Well the previous app will become free again, with a version similar to what you saw in the trial version, and I'm making a second one with trial + 0.99$. I'm deeply sorry for the few people who bought it in the meantime. I didn't realise my mistake soon enough and they will have to buy it again, unfortunately. But as I said, if I didn't change anything, I wouldn't get any money for my work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast