Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CJ Thunder

Just found out that is illegal to unlock you phone unless you have the carriers permission. How this hurts me is that I bought L920 to use on T-Mobile's Network in the USA, the phone is mine paid in full it doesn't belong to ATT anymor, why can't I use it the way I want to? How is this not considered a monopoly by forcing me to use their service? Found a petition I hope you sign it and free me from this craziness.

Yours truly PicodeGalla
    From the Land of thou who has the most money makes the rules.

http://wh.gov/yA9n

Last edited by PicodeGalla; 02-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Typically if you paid for the phone in full and show T-Mobile the receipt they will help you unlock it to work on their network, it's part of their whole BYOD.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PicodeGalla View Post
    Just found out that is illegal to unlock you phone unless you have the carriers permission. How this hurts me is that I bought L920 to use on T-Mobile's Network in the USA, the phone is mine paid in full it doesn't belong to ATT anymor, why can't I use it the way I want to? How is this not considered a monopoly by forcing me to use their service? Found a petition I hope you sign it and free me from this craziness.

Yours truly PicodeGalla
    From the Land of thou who has the most money makes the rules.
    Blame the DMCA. Did you buy it before January 26th?
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Yeah, I did, it is just frustrating that you have to go through so much stuff to do something simple.

They have yet to help I have taken in 2 phones to 3 different places and they always tell me I have to unlock it somewhere else, via website or some hole in the wall store.

No change from Obama, that's for sure. DC is still a back scratching, no moral, hypocrite filled **** hole. The two party system is oh so very flawed.
    jabtano and PicodeGalla like this.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PicodeGalla View Post
    They have yet to help I have taken in 2 phones to 3 different places and they always tell me I have to unlock it somewhere else, via website or some hole in the wall store.
    Well you should be fine since you bought it before the 26th, so unlocking the Lumia 920 isn't illegal. The problem is unlock codes for the AT&T Lumia 920 aren't available when I last checked a couple months back. It's because of the six month exclusivity period that people are having trouble unlocking the AT&T Lumia 920. This happened with the Lumia 900 too. As soon as the six months were up, AT&T magically had all the unlock codes for the AT&T variant of the Lumia 900 and were giving the unlock codes to most people.

So either you'll have to wait, get an international version that's unlocked (or a Roger's version that's been unlocked), or try really hard to convince AT&T to give you your unlock code before the exclusivity period is up.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    How about asking Nokia for those codes? Just a thought and nothing to lose.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmdj31675 View Post
    How about asking Nokia for those codes? Just a thought and nothing to lose.
    I think people have tried, but they usually redirect you to AT&T is what I heard. Nokia wouldn't give you the codes if they could probably because their six month exclusivity agreement means they're supposed to stay locked for six months.

I think you might have better luck begging AT&T. Very few have claimed to have gotten the codes from them, I don't know how.

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I thought the unlawful unlocking was while the phone is under contract. If the phone is payed for and the contract satisfied, as far as I know the carrier has to unlock it by law.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moegumby View Post
    I thought the unlawful unlocking was while the phone is under contract. If the phone is payed for and the contract satisfied, as far as I know the carrier has to unlock it by law.
    AT&T didn't give out unlocking code for the early iPhones until about a year ago.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    The petition got the signatures needed.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moegumby View Post
    Where? I'm pretty sure it's not like that in US.

So I am still using my HD7 on T-Mobile. I have a Lumia 920 sitting in my bedroom awaiting an unlock code to no prevail. I am still very disappointed with this country (US) as big businesses (Oil, Pharmaceutical, Insurance, Banks and Banks, I am probably missing some but anyways) continue to make the rules and bring in exponential profits while pulling the strings of the marionettes in office. I digress.

I will probably just wait until June when they release the codes and begin my windows 8 experience then. Until then I might try a thread I saw where sinlessearth walks us through updating your HD7 to 7.8.
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    That petition is just a small step on the unlocking issue, which fails to address the majority of people with cellphones in the US (that 2/3 majority on CDMA carriers). Unless it includes language giving the FCC the authority to force Qualcomm and CDMA carriers to create a way to unlock CDMA devices (whether the devices are global or not), the problem will persist, and it's going to have to include language to make global devices interplorable among carriers in the US (meaning global GSM carriers must have CDMA interplorability among US carriers)

The only solution would be using global devices on every network and have those come with GSM and CDMA radios programmed to be used on all carriers, but to be fully unlocked after meeting contractual obligations (whetheris completing a contract or by paying the ETF), and have global IMEI and ESN that could be activated on any CDMA network once those devices are deemed cleared of contractual obligations, and only the FCC can mandate so if given the power to do so by way of congress giving the FCC the legal power to do so.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts
    In Asia where they have a few CDMA networks, their CDMA phones have a SIM type card for changing carriers. Just like GSM phones.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    In Asia where they have a few CDMA networks, their CDMA phones have a SIM type card for changing carriers. Just like GSM phones.
    If only it were that simple here in the US. Only Verizon has their CDMA phones with GSM radios unlocked, but because they run some of the data via the CDMA radio, you get slow speeds data wise.
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Since every carrier has or will have 4G LTE, it would be fair to make sure the LTE radios on 4G devices are ready to work on at least the major carriers. Yes, there are different types, however they can be programmed as well. Of course GSM carriers will have the advantage of HSPA+, while CDMA will have to wait until EVDO Revision B matures.