Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

How was the activation process for you guys?

I'm on a family plan with the grandfathered unlimited data and I'm a little hesitant to activate it myself when it comes tomorrow as I don't want to lose that data.

At the same time I feel like the morons at the store have an equal or greater chance of screwing things up.

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    I still have unlimited but don't really use more than about 2GB/month...and that's with occasional audio streaming driving to and from work.

Really don't know why I'm not using more data as im hardly ever on WiFi. Tethering would be nice but don't want to lose my unlimited plan :/
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    I have the unlimited plan and whether I will ever use more than 2-3gb, I love having the plan.

I won't be using the unlimited plan for my Lumia 920. The unlimited will stay with my iPhone 5.

LTE blows HSPA+ (FauxG) out the water. Especially when uploading a picture to WhatsApp, Twitter or Instagram (iOS), it's noticeable. It's not even close. The other thing is... LTE has less latency issues than 3.5G / FauxG (whatever you wanna call it).

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Yup still unlimited here as well. I don't notice a HUGE difference with LTE when just browsing internet pages.. but when going to watch a video and it instantly plays is pretty awesome.

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbush View Post
    unlimited data here as well, I'm getting some insane speeds here in Portland on LTE
    Keep in mind that speed you're seeing is only partly due to LTE and mostly due to LTE being effectively unloaded here (in Portland). I've been watching Verizon LTE go from ludicrous fast (35 or more mbps) a year ago to 8 to 12 mbps now. As more of the historic base of users get shifted over to LTE its going to get progressively slower.

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Example of what I was saying: Verizon LTE in SE. uploadfromtaptalk1352751021207.jpg

In the middle of the night I'll still see 18 or more mbps but midday its feeling decidedly HSPA+ in terms of comparative speed.

I was able to keep my unlimited Data plan however, they said I could no longer keep the unlimted text portion of my previous plan. I would have to change my plan if I wanted unlimted text. I decided the data was much more important than text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Porterhaus View Post
    I was able to keep my unlimited Data plan however, they said I could no longer keep the unlimted text portion of my previous plan. I would have to change my plan if I wanted unlimted text. I decided the data was much more important than text messages.
    What? Why couldn't you keep your unlimited texts? What plan did you have?

Did you guys activate the phone over the web or at an at&t store? I heard some people lost their data plan entirely after they activate their phones on the web.

still unlimited here as well

Quote Originally Posted by devilgunman View Post
    Did you guys activate the phone over the web or at an at&t store? I heard some people lost their data plan entirely after they activate their phones on the web.
    I activated over the web and yeah they screwed up my plan. They took off my text and data plan. I had to go to an AT&T store to put my unlimited data back on. They still haven't seemed to figure out how to put unlimited text back on. I can't even receive texts right now. Once my text problem is fixed, thinking of just canceling unlimited text and use a text program instead.

awesome thanks for the tip just called att and was told i can keep my old unlimited data plan just call them whenever my new phone arrives

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    im grandfathered in. att tried getting me to switch to the mobile share 10 gig plan with tethering for the same price. i might do it

Still unlimited here. I think I use less than 2gb every month. Heck, I think I use less than 1gb.

I wish I could use my phone as a wireless hotspot. It would make it more practical to take my Surface around.

But the price difference to "upgrade" to a limited data plan that allows tethering is too large to justify.

Me too, grandfathered unlimited data untill my grave. Haha, AT$T has tried many ways to cut my unl. Plan,they can't hahaha!

Yep. Probably the main reason I'm still with AT&T.

Which grandfathered unlimited data plans are all of you using? I have one of the old mediamax 200 plans and I tried to do the upgrade in the store and over the phone through ATT premier and both times they said I had to switch to one of the tiered plans.

Likewise, has anyone tried a non-ATT Lumia 920 with ATT using one either a grandfathered or one of the current $10/$15 non-smartphone unlimited data plans?

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    With Verizon you can keep your unlimited data plan if you pay full price for your phone. So that's what I did with my 822. Going with one their "share everything" plans would've eliminated some of my job related discounts. So the way I look at it is that eventually I'll get that money back. Plus with 4G speeds and larger screen, I don't carry my tablet around, so also cancelled that mobile hotspot, which was another extra 20$/month that I was paying them.
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 12-03-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Still have unlimited data with unlimited texts. They throttle back speeds after 3.5 GB.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundawg#WP View Post
    I was forced to switch. I had an old $19.99 unlimited plan called smartphone dataconnect unlimited. When I got my Focus a couple years ago, they had to fight with the system to keep it, but they got it and I had no issues. This time around, I went to the MS store and the sales guy was having problems getting the system to take my plan. An AT&T rep happened to be there and said I could try buying the phone outright and seeing if my sim would at least give me 3G. I walked away and went to the AT&T store to see if I got a different response. Same thing. I asked if they would bump me up to one of the other $30 unlimited grandfathered plans as a courtesy for how long I have been with them ('98). Nothing. I finally looked through my data usage and I've never been over 2GB, so I went ahead and took a tiered plan. I hate having to think about it now...but hopefully AT&T will get onboard with DataSense soon and help me out. It's also nice that WP8 has quite a few new considerations for data usage - i.e. picture sync to SkyDrive via wifi.
    don't give up unlimited data... ever

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I had an unlimited iPhone plan and I was able to upgrade to the 920 and get Unlimited 4G Personal Data Plan with 1500 text messages for 39.99. The plan showed up as an option on the premier website.

I had to replace my phone in store and they had to activate the new Lumia with a data plan without the text messages. I had to call in later and have them switch it back.

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    Yes, I still have mine. This is why I won't leave AT&T. I never use more than a 2gb (now 3gb) plan would provide, but the point is that I *could*. I started with it on an iPhone 3G, moved it to a Samsung Captivate, then to an iPhone 3GS, then to an iPhone 4, then in the span of 2 weeks to a Lumia 920, an HTC 8X, and finally my Lumia 820.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    you may not need more than 1gb now, but phones are moving more and more toward the "cloud"

unlimited data plans are going to be extremely valuable in the next 5 years or less

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    FWIW. I got rid of my unlimited because I was tired of no hotspot feature. I went to 5gig plan and bill only went up $20 with taxes. If I would have gone with 3gig plan it would have gone down $5 or $10, I can't remember which. I never used more than 3gig with BB and bridge work-around for Playbook. I'm only on WiFi when I get home in the evenings. I'm a moderate data user on my phone and I get RT out daily to view email and check things out online. Not much streaming, but with 5gig, I can do whatever I want on the go. Im going to give it a go at 5gig for a couple of months. If I don't go over 3gig, I'm going to downsize and save a few bucks over what I was paying for unlimited without Hotspot. And hotspot lte is just as fast as my 20mb WiFi at home. Most of the time. Might check your actual usage on unlimited plans. I bet most will find they never go over 3gig. Might save you a few bucks and open up more options.

Still on unlimited plan as well. Coming from iphone unlimited data and prior to that BB unlimited data and befor that HTC Tilt. Will keep unlimited data as long as i can. lte is faster than my home broadband connection
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast