Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Now Microsoft needs to work fast and have them with a WP+BBM

http://wmpoweruser.com/blackberry-th...y-up-for-sale/
    Regards,

FearL0rd

Global Posts
    2,349 Global Posts
    From the headline and the site posting it you can tell its a click bait article. Nowhere in the BB statement does it say selling the company is the only option they are pursuing, as the headline would have you believe. Save your bandwidth and don't follow the link to this poorly written article.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Thanked by:

All speculation at this point. They likely would like to take the company private but getting the cash together will be an issue. There will not be many PE firms willing to put up that kind of money for a one trick pony.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    a5cent likes this.

Global Posts
    2,846 Global Posts
    Should have bought some shares when they were down.
    Would have a made a few dollars now :D

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NAS...sj_IeXF0AHT-wE
    I doubt if BBM would be that popular nowadays. Most Android and iOS users aren't exactly excited at the possibility of using BBM. There are many cross-platform alternatives already.

Quote Originally Posted by FearL0rd View Post
    Now Microsoft needs to work fast and have them with a WP+BBM

http://wmpoweruser.com/blackberry-th...y-up-for-sale/

Do you really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?
    gkrew and interopbyt like this.

Microsoft needs to put some money (like the did with NOKIA) on and use BB hardware with WP and BBM. Enterprise market share will go to roof
    Regards,

FearL0rd

etphoto likes this.

I'm not journalist. I go to all WP forums and if I find anything good I share with you friends
    Regards,

FearL0rd

Regards,

FearL0rd

Global Posts
    1,541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I doubt if BBM would be that popular nowadays. Most Android and iOS users aren't exactly excited at the possibility of using BBM. There are many cross-platform alternatives already.
    I've never used BBM or any other type of IM, but isn't SMS "instant messaging"? Is there an advantage of using something that requires a data plan as opposed to SMS which requires a voice plan only? What exactly is the allure of BBM?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I've never used BBM or any other type of IM, but isn't SMS "instant messaging"? Is there an advantage of using something that requires a data plan as opposed to SMS which requires a voice plan only? What exactly is the allure of BBM?
    Some people have data plans but don't have SMS plans. Also, any of these IM apps allow international messaging with no additional fees.

Even if selling isn't technically the only option for BB it looks like it will be the inevitable option. They have dug themselves too far in a hole and there just isn't any buzz for any of their products anymore.

I don't know which company could possibly buy them though since the Canadian government would most likely block any purchase by a foreign company.

Global Posts
    1,250 Global Posts
    Roughly, the messages on BBM go through the BB servers, delivering the messages "instantly", whereas the messages you send through SMS go through the network which take some amount of time to be delivered. It would be nice for WP to have this type of system.

PM me for more details

Global Posts
    1,541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B1P View Post
    Roughly, the messages on BBM go through the BB servers, delivering the messages "instantly", whereas the messages you send through SMS go through the network which take some amount of time to be delivered. It would be nice for WP to have this type of system.
    I totally get Laura's explanation. But yours makes no sense. Wouldn't having to go through BlackBerry's servers be an extra step? All voice, SMS & data flows through the network first, unless you're on wifi in which case only data goes through. I'm guessing so correct me if I'm wrong.
    I totally get Laura's explanation. But yours makes no sense. Wouldn't having to go through BlackBerry's servers be an extra step? All voice, SMS & data flows through the network first, unless you're on wifi in which case only data goes through. I'm guessing so correct me if I'm wrong.
    I agree that the extra step is bad. When BlackBerry had a server outage back in 2011, BBM didn't work at all. Email didn't work either.

The email on BB10 doesn't use BB servers, so outages would no longer affect it.

What I was originally saying was the advantage of any IM app over SMS. I don't see where BBM is any better than WhatsApp, Skype, GTalk, Yahoo Messenger, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    All speculation at this point. They likely would like to take the company private but getting the cash together will be an issue. There will not be many PE firms willing to put up that kind of money for a one trick pony.
    they are talking to Silver Lake who are currently trying to take Dell private, Fairfax already owns roughly 5% of RIM.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    BBM is the Fastest pin messaging and is beter than WhatsApp. It can also be used over wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by BB fan forever View Post
    BBM is the Fastest pin messaging and is beter than WhatsApp. It can also be used over wifi.
    whatsapp also uses WiFi when available.
    tissotti and Laura Knotek like this.

Global Posts
    1,541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BB fan forever View Post
    Define fastest. Can you honestly tell me, without the aid of a stopwatch that measures nanoseconds, that you can tell which is faster? Can you tell me that the app itself is faster and not the network it's traveling on? To me, faster is the equivalent of a speed test between NetZero and any LTE carrier. Are we that desperate as a society that we can't wait an extra 2 seconds for our information?
    Thanked by:
    tissotti and sueha like this.

I have never used BBM, so I guess that I don't really get it. Everyone I know has unlimited sms / mms, why would I want to use an app for messaging and eat away at my data plan (although an insignificant amount of data I would imagine)?

My buddy who works for RIM answers my question with "speed and reliability". However, I don't have reliability issues with text messaging, and via testing with friends, SMS appears to be pretty much instantaneous.

Now Laura's comment about international messaging is a good point, I've never thought of that.

I hate to see RIM / Blackberry fail. The BB10 OS is fantastic on paper, the technical merits can be praised, but in typical real world use, it really doesn't seem any better than the others on the market. I'd love to support Blackberry by owning a BB10 handset, but WP8 genuinely won me over fair and square. I love the UI of WP8, and I just don't like the aesthetics of BB10 hardware design. While I appreciate the functionality that BB10 UI offers, I don't like the UI design either (mainly the icons).
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Blackberry isn't going anywhere. The company is doing exactly what it should be doing. They are positioning themselves for the future. Everyone has made a headline out of part of a statement.
    Thanked by:
    bigbmc26 and christenmartin like this.

Global Posts
    1,250 Global Posts
    I can't explain it any different, that's how it was explained to me. On BBM it went through their server. Texts go through the cellular network, which is like a highway, everything taking its turn to proceed, hence the delay from the time the text is sent, to the time it is received.

PM me for more details

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Geez.

"Positioning yourself for the future" is NOT THE SAME as "looking for a savior"
    tissotti likes this.

all bb is doing is planning their future. if they carry on how there doing now they will be in alot of trouble very soon. selling the company is ONE option out of many that the committee needs to investigate. btw. bb has 3 billion cash and has a market value of 5.6 billion. highly undervalued!
    i do see bb making wp8 devices. would be a nice addition to the wp family, with a completly different design

Quote Originally Posted by danieljohnNL View Post
    all bb is doing is planning their future. if they carry on how there doing now they will be in alot of trouble very soon. selling the company is ONE option out of many that the committee needs to investigate. btw. bb has 3 billion cash and has a market value of 5.6 billion. highly undervalued!
    i do see bb making wp8 devices. would be a nice addition to the wp family, with a completly different design
    Net cash (you are hopefully talking about net cash reserves) mean less in valuation if its not expected for the company to use the available/invested money and return it with profit. Nokia was valued at one point to around 11 billion dollars and they had net cash reserves of 6 billion dollars net cash reserves.

I personally have never understood the value of BBM, but I can see it being a thing for old BB user. I very much doubt MS has any use for the company.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast