Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81
Like Tree27Likes
  1. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #1  
    Today is dday. BB10 is going to be shown off and the tech world is going to jump on it. There's so much buzz around this compared to the launch of wp8. Plus bb10 will have all the apps that are missing from wp8. Today can be a very bad day for wp8 and MS if Rims new os and phone is the next god phone.
  2. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #2  
    Yawn.

    Sorry did you say something.

    I doubt it will do any damage to wp8 - apple and android will probably lose a bit of market share over it but i cant see wp8 adoption losing any traction.
  3. DReevell's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    #3  
    yeah, could be an interesting day for both companies...if RIM don't get this launch right then it's pretty much 'game over' for them, hence the hype. I think regardless of what BB10 releases WP8 has a future. Microsoft have staked a huge investment in Windows 8 and WP8 is seen as a ideal companion. I feel that there will be a gradual and steady shift to WP8 and expect to see the corporate/business market to take an interest in WP8.
  4. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #4  
    I'm not saying WP users will jump ship but some people just love bb and they would rather go bb than WP. Microsoft really should have changed the name of the os to natal or something. Having windows in the name really hurts them because there's so many anti ms people out there
  5. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    #5  
    BB10 is dead without main stream apps. Reason I left and reason I'll never go back. No main stream devs or apps want to support them. They could have 10mil apps, but if they can't get the right ones, nobody will care. WP8 has a far better chance of getting all the right apps. BB wants you to be happy with their "off brand" apps and it won't happen. Two years with Playbook and no Netflix. Really?
  6. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Yawn.

    cant see wp8 adoption losing any traction.
    To loose traction you need to have it in the first place.
  7. thyttel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    BB10 is dead without main stream apps. Reason I left and reason I'll never go back. No main stream devs or apps want to support them. They could have 10mil apps, but if they can't get the right ones, nobody will care. WP8 has a far better chance of getting all the right apps. BB wants you to be happy with their "off brand" apps and it won't happen. Two years with Playbook and no Netflix. Really?
    Well it's been what 2 years with WP and Microsoft and where are the main stream apps? No official Facebook, heck not even a official YouTube app is available. Sorry not that I'm jumping ship but I don't see WP getting anything anymore. WP is a dead platform in the eyes of the developers. Anyone still routing for WP as the next big thing is delusional. I don't see WP hitting it of anymore ever.
    Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express
  8. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    To loose traction you need to have it in the first place.
    Well an increase in market share from 2.2% to 5.9% in a year is considered traction - almost a threefold increase - its possible to lose that 5.9% obviously. Just hedging a bet that the big boys will lose market share over bb10 rather than wp8 market share declining
  9. Noob1ee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    BB10 is dead without main stream apps. Reason I left and reason I'll never go back. No main stream devs or apps want to support them. They could have 10mil apps, but if they can't get the right ones, nobody will care. WP8 has a far better chance of getting all the right apps. BB wants you to be happy with their "off brand" apps and it won't happen. Two years with Playbook and no Netflix. Really?
    Oh the irony..
    Villain and Bobert_123 like this.
  10. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,725 Global Posts
    #10  
    This could go either way and it's actually pretty exciting. Personally I want Blackberry and Windows Phone to suceed.

    For Blackberry to suceed in the Enterprise there are now two options. BB10 ditched their propriatary push technology and they now license ActiveSync from Microsoft. This will let BB10 devices sync directly with Exchange ActiveSync just like WP, iOS and Android do now. You won't get all the MDM stuff you get by syncing to a BES, but not everybody wants that. I'm assuming Blackberry Balance won't work with that. (BB Balance allows you to seperate personal data from corporate and you can just wipe the corporate data if you want.)

    The other way is the traditional BES. However, there is one caveat. It requires the BB10 BES. It will not sync to the current BES 5.0.x environment. That means new server hardware. Probably not a big deal for most companies, but it is what it is.

    In our case, our BB numbers have gone from 900 down to about 120 in the last two years. They have been replaced by Android and iOS devices. We use Good Mobile Messaging so there is no WP8 support. We are starting to mess with plain old Exchange ActiveSync, but our security requires some MDM so we probably need to wait for that. Our CEO and other high ups refuse to give up their BlackBerrys so I will be buildinb a BES10 environment. Over the next few months I expect I will have 120 BB10s, and probably actually more and still just the 3 WP8s that we have in for testing. S/MIME encrypted email is a requiremetn for a lot of people and BlackBerry does it and does it well and WP8 has none of it.

    Also the fact that it takes very little time for an Android developer to convert their app to BB10.. very little time. BlackBerry has a real huge chance of making a comeback.

    Of course we need to see how devices actually work. If tech reviews start to come in and they are just so-so, then all this hype can be gone in an instant.
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
  11. ricbon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    #11  
    let's be honest if instagram is one of the first major apps that would suck big time. i know some people around here could care less but its an app like that attract people and make trying different platforms easier.
  12. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,725 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    BB10 is dead without main stream apps. Reason I left and reason I'll never go back. No main stream devs or apps want to support them. They could have 10mil apps, but if they can't get the right ones, nobody will care. WP8 has a far better chance of getting all the right apps. BB wants you to be happy with their "off brand" apps and it won't happen. Two years with Playbook and no Netflix. Really?
    Native Android apps can be converted to BB10 apps... like really really fast. Our RIM account guy told us in 5 minutes your Android App can be running on a BB10 and you won't even know it's running in that "android environment." That means Android developers don't need to hire anybody to learn anything new. That's huge... gigantic.
    LeLee092 likes this.
  13. thekonger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    #13  
    Such silly, desperate comments. WP8 is part of MS's technical vision moving forward, they're not about to let it fail (remember the original Xbox people. That seems to be doing well now, doesn't it?).

    Regardless, not certain where people are drawing such doom and gloom from; WP market share is still rising, Nokia's earnings were saved by WP8, WP phones sell out everywhere, and demand is still strong. No traction? Dead platform? Oh the desperate naivete.
    Residing and snowmutt like this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Native Android apps can be converted to BB10 apps... like really really fast. Our RIM account guy told us in 5 minutes your Android App can be running on a BB10 and you won't even know it's running in that "android environment." That means Android developers don't need to hire anybody to learn anything new. That's huge... gigantic.
    From what I've heard, I believe converting an ios game to wp8 is a very simple thing to do as well! (Idk the details of it but I remember reading articles about it a while back)
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  15. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #15  
    Bb10 already has instagram and all the cool kid apps that ms is missing. That's the huge problem.
  16. Blkacesvf41's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    819 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #16  
    I'm watching the live webcast of the launch as I type this. They do have loyal users so we'll see how it goes.
  17. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #17  
    Never cared much about being one of the cool kids. More fun coloring outside the lines.
  18. #18  
    I'm going to quote myself from another thread:

    I enjoy the idea and concept of flow, actually what I hope that Windows Phone integrates into their multitasking technology. However, "real time" background tasks (usually useless on a mobile phone) generally does not bode well for battery life. There are trade-offs RIM, er, sorry, Blackberry is making here, and we'll see if they pay off. The Hub basically is a People Hub, however, it's a People Hub on steroids. One thing I wish (and Microsoft has begun this with the integration of VoIP clients) is the ability of developers to integrate their social networks into the People Hub. Also, I wish they had the ability to update those networks apart from the OS. Our Facebook integration should have the ability to at least accept friends and events.

    Overall, I still don't think they have enough to "Wow" the Windows Phone crowd. And, apart from brand loyalty, they don't have the ability to strike the Apple/Google crowd. Microsoft has an entire ecosystem, starting with Windows and Xbox to woo customers. BB10 has boring presenters.

    Also, on that note, I wonder if these presenters will take heat. Microsoft's presents (Ballmer and others) often take criticisms for their presentations. In my mind, this is mostly due to them not being named Steve Jobs and not working for Apple, but we'll see.
  19. Tiwo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    143 Posts
    #19  
    If I remember correctly, RIM pays developers to make apps for BB10. So yeah that's a plus for creating apps for BB.

    I am a little bit worried though. Could go either way. It's how the user picks it up.
  20. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #20  
    New BBM is the only thing thats impressed so far. Corporate/personal split is good too.
  21. ricbon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    #21  
    Skype!!! Wtf
  22. Tiwo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    143 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    New BBM is the only thing thats impressed so far. Corporate/personal split is good too.
    I'm guessing they even have more 'good' apps than WP at launch? :S
  23. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #23  
    But does it have office?
  24. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #24  
    Yeah all of them by the look of it 70K available today and the top 1000 apps apparently
  25. Raduc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    #25  
    Engadget already has a review of the Z10, and they weren't impress with it.

    BlackBerry Z10 review
    Thanked by:
    Tiwo 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Today is truly a sad day....
    By Major Trip in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 02:02 AM
  2. PSA: Today is the Last Day for the $100 GC Promotion
    By derek533 in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM
  3. Today is the day!
    By jkrc717 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
  4. Today is the day!!!!....I think. for my country
    By 12Danny123 in forum WPCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM
  5. How to know if my phone is branded or not!?
    By netko drugi in forum HTC HD 7 / 7s
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 01:35 AM

Posting Permissions