- 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM #177
Clearly you have never seen IOS/Android. It looks the same...
My husband has a Galaxy and it's definitely extremely different, I mean ALL different. I didn't see a Lumia (or any WP8) for real, it's true, no one I know has it, but I'd never go for it : Windows 8 just doesn't appeal to me. This should not be a personal offense, everyone has its tastes.
Nevertheless, I just don't get people fighting with each other over the $$$ interests of big companies. C'mon, guys, they are doing better than we do and they let us fight for them :)
I used to have phones from 6 brands in my life, I only go for what fits me more, that's all. So far I was OK with the BB and I guess I'd go for BB10 (cause it looks smooth and nice and globally offers me what I want), but if one day I'll find something better for me, I'll go elsewhere (maybe finally by skipping the BB10, cause sick and tired that iPhones and Galaxies do have the Ukrainian input I want to use and RIM finds it too difficult to change 5 characters on the tactile input; I don't know yet).
I mean...users always win when there's a real competition (=several strong market actors) and I don't get what the users win to fight with each other to help other guys to win more bucks....
- 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM #180I guess BB10 is a competitive product but only for BB boys. Still, nothing has changed in BB. The same B&W phones but with larger screen. Its not harmful to colourful world of windows.
- Home screen carousel. At first it looked "wow", something new. After 1 month it was already, "****, can they just stop flipping", now it's just "oh man, when can I have a normal smartphone?"
- List of apps (second screen). It's not more convenient than grid of icons, exactly the opposite, especially because most icons of the same color and I have to scroll very slow just to find the app I need
- Turning on/off WiFi. Are you kidding me that I have to go to settings, find WiFi settings just to turn it on/off. Exactly like iOS. I hope they made an icon for that operation in WP8 finally
- Switching between apps. Here I'm sure WP8 better than WP7.5. I hope at least it doesn't disconnect Skype when you switch to another app.
- E-mail accounts. Did they finally introduced some sort of Hub or central place for all e-mail accounts? Because in WP7.5 I have to check each account separately.
- Battery life. Well this one was expected to be bad with all those flipping things on home screen. But 1 day with almost no usage of the phone that's a bit too much..
I'm not comparing WP8 (I played with it but not long enough to see any big differences with WP 7.5) with BB10 (played with Dev Alpha device and felt in love just because of simplicity, clean interface, very intuitive gestures like on my MeeGo device). But trying to tell you that BB10 can be interesting to users of any platform (two my colleagues will switch to BB10 from Android)
12-27-2012, 05:36 PM #182
- 755 Posts
I could harm WP8 if MS continues to play 'Maginot Line' and does not fix all its international XBOX and Windows Phone stores. Also if MS dos not improve XBOX music. As always. If you want to get somewhere you have to be moving.*** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
- 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM #184
Blackberry's demise began with the BB Storm. That was one buggy phone.
There was war in the CB forums over this.
Followed by delays and buggy OS's, people got fed up. lack of apps and features... People left. outages didn't help. The features that were very good didn't make people stay.
Microsoft should take heed.
RIM appears to have learnt a lesson. This is a good thing.
12-27-2012, 05:47 PM #186
- 1,748 Posts
- 12-27-2012, 05:47 PM #187
- 12-27-2012, 06:01 PM #190
Yes. Nokia more or less just supplied the phone. The OS was Meego Harmattan as you say and as I have stated. This has now been open sourced I believe as as Jolla Mobile has used it also.
And yes, RIM have improved it by adding to it and keeping all the features BB users love like notifications etc. The N9's os is 15 months or so old so one would expect anyone to make changes to it after this length of time.
I am glad though that someone has acknowledged the likeness. 😊 Thank you.
- 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM #191
12-27-2012, 10:21 PM #194
- 299 Posts
Nokia also has to only deal with the cost of hardware development.
What's interesting is that Nokia has several businesses. Until recently they were all dragging, but the Nokia Siemens networks and Mobile phones businesses are doing well, generating cash. They also have a pretty healthy revenue stream from patents. RIM is a little more vulnerable because their current sources of revenue are at risk and could go bad very quickly if the decline continues. In saying that, I don't think Nokia could handle another OS change, at best if Windows phone continues Mediocre sales, they could pull an HTC and make both Android and Windows phone.
- 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM #195
12-27-2012, 11:51 PM #196
- 534 Posts
After watching the linked YouTube video in thread I remembered what I initially don't like about BB10. I can imagine that it could pose a threat. I mean there are some good ideas. As I've said before, the Peek is a really good idea. Yet, when I think about the demos I can't help but think that BB10 feels like WP but with more chrome around it. This isn't to say that WP is perfect though.
- 12-28-2012, 04:41 AM #197
- 12-28-2012, 04:43 AM #198
12-28-2012, 04:56 AM #199
- 1,629 Posts
Naturally much of it is just hearsay and I don't have any official documents backing it up (not like many did), but I dont think the above is really a secret either.
- By scrapple in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 73Last Post: 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
- By Jenifer in forum Windows Phone GamesReplies: 18Last Post: 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM
- By astroXP in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 0Last Post: 10-08-2011, 12:44 AM
- By SSaywell in forum Phone WarsReplies: 6Last Post: 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM
- By StrykerGT in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM