Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Sailfish, Firefox and Tizen OS's are all coming to join the party too.

I'm expecting BB10 to be in the top 3 but the others will remain around. No one will get killed off.

Why just have 3?

Global Posts
    2,147 Global Posts
    when I saw. bb10.i saw absolutely no innovation at all. The gestures are good. But the UI is basically a copied from wp8, ios and android.
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morpho4444 View Post
    Ok Gandhi, but at least tell us what do you think it will happen with WP once bb10 launches.
    lol no Ghandi, i already stated my thoughts its BB10 all the way

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    What started off as a decent discussion (whether back or forth) always ends up in a p**** length contest... we have BB fans and WP fans.. pros and cons approach would be nice and as objectively as possible (within our individual fanboi minds:P).

I am actually interested in BB10, is there a place I can see some good video demo's of the OS, or is it too soon? I looked through crackberry, but I really want a device review or something that is a good summary. Any thoughts?

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    when I saw. bb10.i saw absolutely no innovation at all. The gestures are good. But the UI is basically a copied from wp8, ios and android.
    you saw the developer preview of BB10 not the full

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I'm starting to worry a bit.

I played with a colleague's "Developer Alpha" version of the BB10 OS, and I had a couple of observations:

1) In Alpha form, BB10 is more complete and less buggy than release-day WP8 was. It has a better music player, and the experience is just as smooth and sexy.

2) RIM took its time to "get everything right." They've ramped up hardware production, they have every major carrier in the US and worldwide supporting their launch (unlike WP) and there are unlikely to be device shortages, regardless of demand. They also spent time to fix and tweak every element of the software experience.

3) RIM is launching with over 100,000 apps in the BB10 store.

4) RIM is making it easy for Android apps to be ported over to native BB10. That means that apps like Instagram and others will be reasonably easy to develop for BB10, and will arrive for that platform long before we get them.

5) RIM, the principal hardware company for BlackBerry, is profitable (as of last quarter) and cash-flow-positive. Nokia, the principal hardware company for Windows Phone, is bleeding cash fast.

6) RIM is supporting carrier-independent OTA updates, just like Apple and Google. That means that any bugs that do occur can be fixed quickly, without a Portico-style "is my phone going to get it or not" mess.

I was super-impressed with the UI, slickness, and overall polish of BB10. I am getting worried... this OS could be good enough to push Microsoft out of third place.

Microsoft needs to step up its game. Third place is NOT guaranteed.
    1) You're kidding yourself. I'm yet to run into a bug on WP8.

3) still less than WP

5) RIM is NOT positive. That is just simply not true. Not in the least is that true

6) I did a search and could not find anything that said this. Oh, and Android is not carrier-independent updated.

Bottom line is BB10 is just more static icons. I'm actually rooting for RIM but they will stay in 4th place.

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    OTA is in WP, but updates are not simultaneous (unlike BB10). If AT&T decides that my 8X won't get Portico until June, then I won't get it until June.

As for "more complete," BB10 Alpha has apps that WP8 still doesn't have, like Adobe Reader, Facebook (official version), Twitter (feature-complete), online banking from major US and European banks, etc. It's sorta hard for them not to get access due to their simple Android port.

Not sure if I buy that. Windows Phone 8 is a brand new platform, just like BB10, and launched in mid November. BB10 is launching a few months later, but will be more feature-complete (assuming no other updates past Portico hit).

The obvious benefit of "taking time to get everything right" is the risk that BB10 in early 2013 will be a less buggy and more complete experience than WP8 in early 2013.

And RIM sold more BlackBerry phones in this past quarter than Nokia has sold Lumias in its entire run.

We're in a precarious place. Microsoft needs to execute better. The assumption that we're in a comfortable third place and RIM is dead is the wrong one to make, and the compromises around user experience that have been made to date need to end.
    Um, there is Adobe Reader, Official Twitter, a ton of online bank apps, including Bank of America and Chase. Do you own a Windows Phone? I really don't think you do.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    I am actually interested in BB10, is there a place I can see some good video demo's of the OS, or is it too soon? I looked through crackberry, but I really want a device review or something that is a good summary. Any thoughts?

Blackberry 10
    i think thats a good one to watch for now

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Wow! And I thought Apple fanboys were bad! No offense though but really guys some of you are more arrogant than those iSheep and what do you have to base that on? A half baked glitchy OS? Little public appeal? No real app support?(These are just rumors I'm hearing from various sources, haven't used wp8 myself) Look I understand that you support your platform and you're proud of it, but don't let that pride cloud your knowledge and judgment. Not everyone on here are that bad but I have to say some of you wp8 guys are really ignorant. Some of you are still on that age-old "RIM is dead" bandwagon that crashed a long time ago. RIM proved that they won't go down without a fight, and they're fighting hard! Whether they will succeed only time will tell, but don't hate on them because bb10 looks much better than anyone expected. Just because you're scared that wp8 will lose marketshare to bb10 doesn't justify hostility imo. The exact opposite can happen and wp8 will overtake the bbOS, but you don't see me hating on wp8. So just saying keep it clean, factual and objective please and it would be a better experience for everyone.:)

Global Posts
    2,847 Global Posts
    You can start on youtube...

Just a suggestion :|
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    I guess BB10 is a competitive product but only for BB boys.
    Still, nothing has changed in BB. The same B&W phones but with larger screen. Its not harmful to colourful world of windows.

Guys please vote for my entries in Nokia your wish is my app. I could win a L920. Instructions and links- HTTP://mobihalo.WordPress.com
    Few days ago, i tried Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 and wrote my full experience on my blog, do take a look.
    About L820- Part 1
    About L920- Part 2
    About Windows Phone 8- Part 3 <----MUST READ
    please enrich my blog with your valuable comments,,,,,,,,,,
    My FB page- http://Facebook.com/NextLumia

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bb10_fan View Post
    I guess it will appear there very soon :) CB always keep track of @BlackberryScoop twits... He/she also mentioned that the app is in Beta stage and not really ready for launch
    I've been keeping track on that thread with this bbscoope guy, he looks fake...

Quote Originally Posted by sirfly2fly View Post

Blackberry 10
    i think thats a good one to watch for now
    Very impressive. This video really focused on the productivity / social aspect of the OS, and it looks better to me than any other platform I've seen. Enterprise customers are going to really like it I think.

The challenge is going to be the ecosystem, but BB10 has a real chance here. There is more complexity to this story, but at very least this will keep the blackberry diehards very happy.

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirfly2fly View Post
    you saw the developer preview of BB10 not the full
    Who knows whar he saw, he has no idea what he's talking about..."no innovation"...ya right

Global Posts
    2,847 Global Posts
    and it looks better to me than any other platform I've seen. .
    Clearly you have never seen IOS/Android. It looks the same...

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    This saddens me to hear.. That's just so much close-minded bullsh*t. Guess who was one of the first smartphones to the market? Would you have guessed it that RIM was? I KNOW, CRAZY RIGHT?! Apple, Android, and your beloved WP all copied off of RIM and every other smartphone on the market.

Now let us imagine a world where every phone company was in a cave and knew nothing about their competitors and what cool things they were doing. Sounds like a really uneventful smartphone market, but apparently it's what you seem to want.

And what in the he11 has Windows Phone 8 done to "innovate"? Their entire OS is PRETTY, but that's the majority of what it is.. It's pretty and they absolutely destroyed some of the basic functionality of the phone just to make it pretty. The speed at which you can get simple tasks done on a BlackBerry - - Scratch that, just about any other smartphone on the market, towers over WP8. But still, WP is very pretty and eye catching, that is not INNOVATIVE. Many people who have tried WP along with all of the other operating systems out there have mentioned that some of the most simple tasks are made to be somewhat difficult (extra steps added in WP over what it should be).

So lets look at what is innovative about BlackBerry... Lets start from the pure basics.. The entire operating system behind BlackBerry 10 is innovative just within itself. It's ability to multitask towers over any other mobile operating system out there. QNX is in the majority of cars out there, it runs nuclear power plants, and so on.. It has been put through the ringer, and is a very well developed code. Props of course go to Windows Phone 8 though, they started from scratch as did BlackBerry. So what does this mean? WP8 and BB10 already have a head start over Android and iOS, as they NEED to start a new OS from scratch to be competitive given a year or two. iOS is now the oldest OS on the market after the release of BB10.

So innovation within the hardware now, how about that? They completely removed the need for physical buttons, changing the entire realm into a gesture based operating system. But CLEARLY, this is not innovative simply because WP has 3 capacities buttons, right? Again, removing all buttons in move to JUST gestures. If you consider that not innovative in the slightest, then that's you just being close-minded yet AGAIN.

Okay, Okay, innovation within the software, that's the most important part yet, right? Well first off, we have just seen the developer alpha - beta software, so it is not fair at all to claim if the OS is innovative or not when you are comparing a product that is under-wraps, not on the market yet, to those which have been out for months. But let's try to mix and match, picking out the innovation of BlackBerry 10. WP8 was on the right track, why should we be just like Apple and make it so the entire device is simply a prettied up app launcher? So they went and made live tiles. Okay, cool. But lets take a step back at this point, BlackBerry 10 just copied the OS of WP8 because they have active-frames? Well buddy, QNX has been out for almost 2 years now in the PlayBook... That's a LONG time away from the first leaks of WP8 and live tiles. What does this mean though? Look at the PlayBook, a minimized app is essentially an "active-frame", but it would just be ludicrous to port that over to a smartphone as on a PlayBook, making an app smaller is okay because it's a large device, but on a phone, making an app smaller and keeping it "live" would just be pointless as you wouldn't be able to see or read anything. It was just common sense for them to do something along the lines of turning it into an "active-frame". BB10 has been in the works for YEARS, but OF COURSE the second they saw WP8 come out, they must have revamped the entire operating system to mirror what was in WP8, right? They could not have been innovative themselves, they MUST have stole it from WP8.. Again, that's just you being full of yourself / operating system.

The designated "HUB" is extremely innovative.. You don't have to bounce in and out of applications like you do in WP8, Android, or IOS, you can instead get absolutely every social media, email, SMS, BBM, etc. in this designated HUB. Now who did they steal this innovation from? THEY STOLE IT FROM THEMSELVES! BlackBerry has ALWAYS had a unified inbox where your SMS, Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. pop up in. The one in BB10 is just MUCH MUCH MUCH more organized, and it also ties in the contacts application AND the calendar application within it. So from anywhere on your BB10 phone, you swipe up and to the right, and you have access to absolutely every single thing you could possibly need, organized, and not have to pop in and out of applications OR have to visit the homescreen like you have to on every other OS.

The keyboard, that's not innovative at all huh? All gestures keyboard, words pop up above the word instead of above the keyboard so you dont have to take your eyes off of where your fingers are going. Nah, they must have stole that from a different OS right? And that's why a dev went out and copied the BB10 keyboard calling it "octopus" or something for iOS. The Apple community was pumped up about downloading it and being able to use it.. People don't steal sh*t that's not innovative.

There is just SO much more that both we have yet to seen, and is also innovative within the OS currently. You're just being EXTREMELY close-minded and ignorant so you don't have to think that the competition is in any way scary, when in reality, it really is.
    Thanked by:
    Bobert_123 and magutwit like this.

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flip4life4751 View Post
    This saddens me to hear.. That's just so much close-minded bullsh*t. Guess who was one of the first smartphones to the market? Would you have guessed it that RIM was? I KNOW, CRAZY RIGHT?! Apple, Android, and your beloved WP all copied off of RIM and every other smartphone on the market.

Now let us imagine a world where every phone company was in a cave and knew nothing about their competitors and what cool things they were doing. Sounds like a really uneventful smartphone market, but apparently it's what you seem to want.

And what in the he11 has Windows Phone 8 done to "innovate"? Their entire OS is PRETTY, but that's the majority of what it is.. It's pretty and they absolutely destroyed some of the basic functionality of the phone just to make it pretty. The speed at which you can get simple tasks done on a BlackBerry - - Scratch that, just about any other smartphone on the market, towers over WP8. But still, WP is very pretty and eye catching, that is not INNOVATIVE. Many people who have tried WP along with all of the other operating systems out there have mentioned that some of the most simple tasks are made to be somewhat difficult (extra steps added in WP over what it should be).

So lets look at what is innovative about BlackBerry... Lets start from the pure basics.. The entire operating system behind BlackBerry 10 is innovative just within itself. It's ability to multitask towers over any other mobile operating system out there. QNX is in the majority of cars out there, it runs nuclear power plants, and so on.. It has been put through the ringer, and is a very well developed code. Props of course go to Windows Phone 8 though, they started from scratch as did BlackBerry. So what does this mean? WP8 and BB10 already have a head start over Android and iOS, as they NEED to start a new OS from scratch to be competitive given a year or two. iOS is now the oldest OS on the market after the release of BB10.

So innovation within the hardware now, how about that? They completely removed the need for physical buttons, changing the entire realm into a gesture based operating system. But CLEARLY, this is not innovative simply because WP has 3 capacities buttons, right? Again, removing all buttons in move to JUST gestures. If you consider that not innovative in the slightest, then that's you just being close-minded yet AGAIN.

Okay, Okay, innovation within the software, that's the most important part yet, right? Well first off, we have just seen the developer alpha - beta software, so it is not fair at all to claim if the OS is innovative or not when you are comparing a product that is under-wraps, not on the market yet, to those which have been out for months. But let's try to mix and match, picking out the innovation of BlackBerry 10. WP8 was on the right track, why should we be just like Apple and make it so the entire device is simply a prettied up app launcher? So they went and made live tiles. Okay, cool. But lets take a step back at this point, BlackBerry 10 just copied the OS of WP8 because they have active-frames? Well buddy, QNX has been out for almost 2 years now in the PlayBook... That's a LONG time away from the first leaks of WP8 and live tiles. What does this mean though? Look at the PlayBook, a minimized app is essentially an "active-frame", but it would just be ludicrous to port that over to a smartphone as on a PlayBook, making an app smaller is okay because it's a large device, but on a phone, making an app smaller and keeping it "live" would just be pointless as you wouldn't be able to see or read anything. It was just common sense for them to do something along the lines of turning it into an "active-frame". BB10 has been in the works for YEARS, but OF COURSE the second they saw WP8 come out, they must have revamped the entire operating system to mirror what was in WP8, right? They could not have been innovative themselves, they MUST have stole it from WP8.. Again, that's just you being full of yourself / operating system.

The designated "HUB" is extremely innovative.. You don't have to bounce in and out of applications like you do in WP8, Android, or IOS, you can instead get absolutely every social media, email, SMS, BBM, etc. in this designated HUB. Now who did they steal this innovation from? THEY STOLE IT FROM THEMSELVES! BlackBerry has ALWAYS had a unified inbox where your SMS, Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. pop up in. The one in BB10 is just MUCH MUCH MUCH more organized, and it also ties in the contacts application AND the calendar application within it. So from anywhere on your BB10 phone, you swipe up and to the right, and you have access to absolutely every single thing you could possibly need, organized, and not have to pop in and out of applications OR have to visit the homescreen like you have to on every other OS.

The keyboard, that's not innovative at all huh? All gestures keyboard, words pop up above the word instead of above the keyboard so you dont have to take your eyes off of where your fingers are going. Nah, they must have stole that from a different OS right? And that's why a dev went out and copied the BB10 keyboard calling it "octopus" or something for iOS. The Apple community was pumped up about downloading it and being able to use it.. People don't steal sh*t that's not innovative.

There is just SO much more that both we have yet to seen, and is also innovative within the OS currently. You're just being EXTREMELY close-minded and ignorant so you don't have to think that the competition is in any way scary, when in reality, it really is.
    I dont really care what features WP, IOS or Android users think they have on their smartphones... I have my old Bold 9900 and my galaxy SIII... galaxy phone is my work phone, the company gave it to me. I don't use it at all... I dont like to check my gmail, hotmail and work email all in three different apps and then facebook and then SMS... opening and closing. In my bold, I open Universal Inbox, I swipe through the messages to go from gmail, hotmail, faceboook, workemail, sms, whatever I have listed on, even twitter. They think they have these features, they think swiftkey = android keyboard, is not, you have to buy it, is not a native part. I just use my Galaxy SIII for pure web browsing which is a better experience just because of its larger screen. Well and If I am not at home with my playbook I use Galaxy III to play jetpack joyride, if Im at home I play it on my playbook. It is just a waiting game for me, my bold is going, here comes N-series for me. I care no more about android or WP or IOS I have experienced all three of them and I know what to do next, to get my BB10. You can just pretend you all have these BB10 features on your phones, I will simply enjoy them.

EDIT: Of course I will replace my S Galaxy SIII with a BB10 London device, dont you know who has the best browser experience between tablets, desktop and mobile you fanboys?, Blackberry ****ing 10!.... playbook right now is the king of Tablet browsers and it even beats desktop browsers. BB10 browser simply blows away in sunspider my GSIII and in HTML5 is the best right now even over desktop browsers and just passed ring 1 in facebook test.
    Flip4Bytes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I have an iphone5 with IOS6 - it's not the same.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Please don't mind me saying so but the Nokia N9 .... A device that has been in the market for some time now, is a gesture based OS with NO physical or capacitive buttons. So that innovation has already been done.

Obviously this was in the works for a while before it launched. 😊

The OS on the N9 is the parent of active frames one could say. The calendar on both is identical.

It is sometimes worthwhile to look beyond the phone you currently use.

BB10 will bring innovations elsewhere I am sure as there is a lot that probably hasn't been disclosed yet.

I am not saying that BB10 isn't going to be good, rather I don't want them getting credit for innovations that are not theirs.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    There's only so much 'looks' alone will do. Windows Phone is the best example of that. Beautiful looks, terrible, terrible functionality. BB10 from what I've seen looks quite decent. And the latest news is that it will have native video calling with screen sharing, which God knows, is so much better than 'Kids Corner'. Not to mention a full fledged notification centre. BB10 is coming with everything Windows Phone doesn't have.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Blackberry has always had top class notifications.

I really only use my 9900 Bold now for messaging. For surfing the web and applications I use my other gadgets.

If I get another BB I will go for the all touch and not the physical keyboard version.
    magutwit likes this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm going to add some fuel to the fire.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/27/b...-task-manager/

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    Please don't mind me saying so but the Nokia N9 .... A device that has been in the market for some time now, is a gesture based OS with NO physical or capacitive buttons. So that innovation has already been done.

Obviously this was in the works for a while before it launched. 

The OS on the N9 is the parent of active frames one could say. The calendar on both is identical.

It is sometimes worthwhile to look beyond the phone you currently use.

BB10 will bring innovations elsewhere I am sure as there is a lot that probably hasn't been disclosed yet.

I am not saying that BB10 isn't going to be good, rather I don't want them getting credit for innovations that are not theirs.
    My point was that the PlayBook was out wayyyy before the Nokia N9, so it was still RIM first to the market on the whole gesture based / no button UI.

Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    There's only so much 'looks' alone will do. Windows Phone is the best example of that. Beautiful looks, terrible, terrible functionality. BB10 from what I've seen looks quite decent. And the latest news is that it will have native video calling with screen sharing, which God knows, is so much better than 'Kids Corner'. Not to mention a full fledged notification centre. BB10 is coming with everything Windows Phone doesn't have.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! EXACTLY! Glad to see it being said from someone who frequents WPCentral. I saw 'Kids Corner' from WP8 and thought it was a joke that they put so much work into such a small section of the market.. Those who have kids (so crosses off any of the young techy people w/ money to spend on a new phone) and focuses towards people like my mom, but not so much my mom now, but rather my mom about 10-15 years ago when I was a young kid and wanted to play with her phone. Issue with this too, is that they are trying to focus on the market that doesn't even care much about their phone as long as it's cheap.. That's all my mom cares about "well why buy this one when I can get this one for free?!?!" BECAUSE MOM, THAT ONE IS A POS FLIP PHONE!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to say it, but 'Kids Corner' is actually a complete turnoff for me, I'm assuming you can just turn it off (atleast i hope) but I just remember how much they stressed how great kids corner was during the initial launch of WP8.. I kept saying to myself, okay, move on to what else it does.. Nope, he brings out his kids onto the stage, probably practiced it 100 times, yet still couldn't get into 'Kids Corner', they managed to just unlock his phone the normal way, and had to go "no buddy, remember, you do it like this".

I'm 21, my phone is my phone.. I rarely even let friends touch my phone for any reason, I don't need so much thought put into something that may affect me in the next 6-7 years from now. So is 'Kids Corner' innovative? Sure it is.. Practical though for MOST users? not even in the slightest..

Quote Originally Posted by Blkacesvf41 View Post
    I'm going to add some fuel to the fire.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/27/b...-task-manager/
    What's cool about these pictures too, is that we know for a fact that these are OLDDDDDDD pictures of the OS. They have changed the top header to blue in recent updates, and other changes as well, so seeing just how old those pictures are that are being leaked, RIM is definitely doing a good job at keeping the big features hidden until launch, and I'm sure we are all in for a big surprise! :)

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    They launched quite close together I think. Perhaps the playbook was first but the N9 was the first phone with it. Actually, playbook launched April 2011 and N9 September 2011. Not far apart.

But perhaps Palm Pre actually did it first? That released in October 2008.

Like BB10 the playbook was announced long before it launched. RIM likes to torture it's fans lol
    sirfly2fly likes this.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast