Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 362
Like Tree100Likes
  1. #226  
    I just feel it's a nice feature, but one that won't be used much. I have a line with an upgrade May so I'm doing my due investigating.
  2. bb10_fan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    I just feel it's a nice feature, but one that won't be used much. I have a line with an upgrade May so I'm doing my due investigating.
    Here the video about Active Frames . You may notice that some apps (mostly build-in, like calendar) use this feature, while others still not and just freeze when minimized :)
  3. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,535 Global Posts
    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by bb10_fan View Post
    But you are still not convinced that widgets on Symbian/Maemo (father of MeeGo)/Android are predecessors of Live Tiles? (this reminds me iPhone fans who always say that rectangular shape of iPhone 4/4S/5 was invented by Apple. They don't care that LG Prada was released few years before)
    First, I am a fan of BB. I sport a 9900 & a PlayBook as my personal devices. I also sport an iPad and 4S (work). I try to keep things objective so as to not come off as a fanboy. For that reason, I have to disagree with you and all others who think Apple invented warm water. The first grid of icons was Palm OS (the really old Palm, not webOS). You could argue they were live tiles since they would change form if, for instance, you had new mail or SMS. A very crude system, but it was the s**t for its day. Just think what would have happened if they had followed through with the Foleo.
  4. #229  
    Just watched 3 bids on bb10 and I'm going to have to pass. If I want to swipe all day I will just play fruit ninja. So far it looks like a lot of extra steps to get something done. One of the main things I love about WP is that everything is in and out. Quick n easy.
  5. morpho4444's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Just watched 3 bids on bb10 and I'm going to have to pass. If I want to swipe all day I will just play fruit ninja. So far it looks like a lot of extra steps to get something done. One of the main things I love about WP is that everything is in and out. Quick n easy.
    In and Out are steps... Blackberry there are no steps, there is flow!

    Keep fooling yourself
    Bobert_123 likes this.
  6. Bobert_123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Cool beans.
    They're ice cold
  7. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    And I see the whole mobile nations pass has become a troll fest for a few members to take advantage of.
    Perhaps, but it also has the advantage of balancing out the rabid fanboys who foam at the mouth and hurl venom if someone even so much as whispers something they don't like. At least the trolls don't chase each other around the forums with Likes and Thanks like Chester and Spike
    Bobert_123 likes this.
  8. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    544 Posts
    #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by bb10_fan View Post
    But you are still not convinced that widgets on Symbian/Maemo (father of MeeGo)/Android are predecessors of Live Tiles? (this reminds me iPhone fans who always say that rectangular shape of iPhone 4/4S/5 was invented by Apple. They don't care that LG Prada was released few years before)
    Nope. There can be a difference in interaction and to an extent a difference on presentation as well.

    Anyways, you're missing my original point, I think. Otherwise if you got it then man, I don't know you got issues in wanting to defend any platform or prove someone "wrong". All I said was that BB10 reminded me of WP, more specifically an element of BB10 (active frames) reminded me of Live Tiles. In terms of just speaking of things on the surface, which was my intent, I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment.

    windows_phone_7_live_tiles_thumb.jpg bb10-homescreen-01-580-100.jpg

    But nope, apparently a person just can't make a simple remark without needing to be corrected or speaking "blasphemy", if you will, about an implementation on a mobile OS. Instead the statement has to be nitpicked and reasoned out to show how "wrong" the speaker is because that person is allegedly ignorant about mobile OSes or the statement maligns the awesomeness of an OS. Reminds me of the stupid crap a few months back with the whole 920 8x comparison.

    If you can't see the sheer simplicity of the remark, I find that kind of sad. In either case we can just agree to disagree or you can continue to try to prove me "wrong."
  9. bb10_fan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Nope. There can be a difference in interaction and to an extent a difference on presentation as well.

    Anyways, you're missing my original point, I think. Otherwise if you got it then man, I don't know you got issues in wanting to defend any platform or prove someone "wrong". All I said was that BB10 reminded me of WP, more specifically an element of BB10 (active frames) reminded me of Live Tiles. In terms of just speaking of things on the surface, which was my intent, I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment.

    But nope, apparently a person just can't make a simple remark without needing to be corrected or speaking "blasphemy", if you will, about an implementation on a mobile OS. Instead the statement has to be nitpicked and reasoned out to show how "wrong" the speaker is because that person is allegedly ignorant about mobile OSes or the statement maligns the awesomeness of an OS. Reminds me of the stupid crap a few months back with the whole 920 8x comparison.

    If you can't see the sheer simplicity of the remark, I find that kind of sad. In either case we can just agree to disagree or you can continue to try to prove me "wrong."
    I'm sorry if you found my posts offensive, I sincerely didn't mean to offend you. For me these two screenshots look alike, but I still cannot see the similarity between Active Frames and Live Tiles (let's just stop here and forget about them)
    n9-c_med.jpg bb10-homescreen-01-580-100.jpg
    cheers :)
  10. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,000 Posts
    #235  
    I don't have much experience with either Meego let alone BB10, but the first feel I got from the two images that the N9 image would be more of a multitasking screen, while the lower picture (I suppose it's BB10?) looks more like having widgets on the screen.
  11. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    So claims the writer of the wiki article, and it's still Wiki.



    Use of Active Frames. I know functionally they are different but the idea's relatively the same, and that's really all I'm getting at. If you're gonna nitpick me on how it's not exactly the same then you're missing my point.
    conversations need both questions and answers. assumptions just make, well, you know.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  12. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Nope. There can be a difference in interaction and to an extent a difference on presentation as well.

    Anyways, you're missing my original point, I think. Otherwise if you got it then man, I don't know you got issues in wanting to defend any platform or prove someone "wrong". All I said was that BB10 reminded me of WP, more specifically an element of BB10 (active frames) reminded me of Live Tiles. In terms of just speaking of things on the surface, which was my intent, I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows_phone_7_live_tiles_thumb.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	25760 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB10-Homescreen-01-580-100.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	25761

    But nope, apparently a person just can't make a simple remark without needing to be corrected or speaking "blasphemy", if you will, about an implementation on a mobile OS. Instead the statement has to be nitpicked and reasoned out to show how "wrong" the speaker is because that person is allegedly ignorant about mobile OSes or the statement maligns the awesomeness of an OS. Reminds me of the stupid crap a few months back with the whole 920 8x comparison.

    If you can't see the sheer simplicity of the remark, I find that kind of sad. In either case we can just agree to disagree or you can continue to try to prove me "wrong."
    nice examples in the pics. looks like the second one (whoever's os it is) is doing a better job of displaying information.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  13. bb10_fan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I don't have much experience with either Meego let alone BB10, but the first feel I got from the two images that the N9 image would be more of a multitasking screen, while the lower picture (I suppose it's BB10?) looks more like having widgets on the screen.
    That's not entirely correct (about more or less multitasking). I believe both systems have minimized stage for app and it was up to developer what he wants to do. I remember I was reading developers documentation (great source of information about platform) for MeeGo Harmattan and it was stated that when app is minimized it's better to stop any heavy calculations and preferably pause the app. On BB10 (second screenshot) they have this behavior by default, so even if developer was lazy enough to read documentation or coming from desktop (there they have all power they need and no worries about suspending apps which are on background) he still won't kill the battery on your smartphone.
  14. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #239  
    BB10 looks pretty impressive in the video. Very responsive and the features make it look more capable than Windows Phone in several ways. The email client certainly looks more robust than ours.

    I don't know if RIM can pull off a miracle this late in the game, but I'll be watching them closely.

    If nothing else, I welcome the competition. I think another OS that is that responsive and feature filled will help light a fire under Microsoft's *** to give Windows Phone more robust multitasking, email and features that appeal to enterprise customers.
    bb10_fan likes this.
  15. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #240  
    Blackberry is probably the best OS for email.

    But lets talk Peek.

    On BB10 you swipe to the right from anywhere and get your unified inbox. Emails, tweets, Facebook etc. But, if like me you like only emails in a unified inbox and your tweets, SMS etc in their own little inbox then a further swipe to the right will show these.

    On android the notification bar can be pulled down from anywhere also and all your notifications will be shown in only one swipe.

    The android notification bar could be considered a form of peek also?

    Both my android phone and BB have a notification LED so you tend to know whether you have an email or whatever before you peek. On my BB with the BeBuzz led application I would often know who the message is from if I have set colours for contacts.

    Based on my use Android will seemingly get me to my notifications quicker. One swipe down as opposed to two swipes across.
  16. Bobert_123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    nice examples in the pics. looks like the second one (whoever's os it is) is doing a better job of displaying information.
    I think you mean BB10, and yes, it does display info a lot better then live tiles, they can also be removed, unlike in WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to closes it :)
  17. Bobert_123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I don't have much experience with either Meego let alone BB10, but the first feel I got from the two images that the N9 image would be more of a multitasking screen, while the lower picture (I suppose it's BB10?) looks more like having widgets on the screen.
    how'd you get that, imo BB10 appears to be multitasking more then the N9 since its icons look so fixed in place... If anything they're kind of the same...
  18. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    544 Posts
    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    conversations need both questions and answers. assumptions just make, well, you know.
    Similarly, the receiver can spend an equal amount of effort in trying to understand the point of view of the speaker.
  19. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,535 Global Posts
    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    Blackberry is probably the best OS for email.

    But lets talk Peek.

    On BB10 you swipe to the right from anywhere and get your unified inbox. Emails, tweets, Facebook etc. But, if like me you like only emails in a unified inbox and your tweets, SMS etc in their own little inbox then a further swipe to the right will show these.

    On android the notification bar can be pulled down from anywhere also and all your notifications will be shown in only one swipe.

    The android notification bar could be considered a form of peek also?

    Both my android phone and BB have a notification LED so you tend to know whether you have an email or whatever before you peek. On my BB with the BeBuzz led application I would often know who the message is from if I have set colours for contacts.

    Based on my use Android will seemingly get me to my notifications quicker. One swipe down as opposed to two swipes across.
    I'll see your Peek and I'll raise you some webOS. Notifications come up at the bottom of the screen without any input from the user. If it interests you, then you tap on it. If you don't, then just swipe it away. As the Old Milwaukee ads from the 70's would say, it don't get no better than this. Yes, I'm that old, get over it.
  20. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,410 Global Posts
    #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    I think you mean BB10, and yes, it does display info a lot better then live tiles, they can also be removed, unlike in WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to closes it :)
    Unlike WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to close it? Are you trying to tell me if you remove the tile from the start screen then it'll delete the app? Wait... I'm sure if I swipe to the screen on the right the app is still there even if I delete it from the Start Screen... unless my WP is behaving oddly?

    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I'll see your Peek and I'll raise you some webOS.
    And I'll take your webOS and raise you ten billion dollars. (Honestly, your post made me laugh so hard even though it came across as like a gamer of poker)

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  21. justbb10x's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #246  
    I personally say yes, for a few reasons
    1. Blackberry balance: before there was a problem that people that got a blackberry at work could not make full use of a blackberry because the boss blocked a few things. This problem is now gone, because bb balance lets you have two profiles : one that the boss can control and one for home. There are even two app worlds.
    2. Browser: the browser is incredible. It has a a 485 /500 score on the html5 test which is the highest amongst mobile platforms.
    3. Hub and peek: you can peek anytime into the hub, a unified inbox, even while in another app.
    4.apps: rim is doing a lot to bring apps to the platform and it will have the biggest number at launch.
    5. Keyboard. All those that have to type a lot from their phone love blackberry full touch and qwerty keyboard. Its simply the best
    6.small cool features:. Camera app, pic destroyer on browser, etc
    These are the things that'll bring subscribers back. I must admit that their biggest challenge is marketing but i think their new cmo knows what hes doing
  22. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I'll see your Peek and I'll raise you some webOS. Notifications come up at the bottom of the screen without any input from the user. If it interests you, then you tap on it. If you don't, then just swipe it away. As the Old Milwaukee ads from the 70's would say, it don't get no better than this. Yes, I'm that old, get over it.
    lol that made me chuckle!
  23. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbb10x View Post
    I personally say yes, for a few reasons
    1. Blackberry balance: before there was a problem that people that got a blackberry at work could not make full use of a blackberry because the boss blocked a few things. This problem is now gone, because bb balance lets you have two profiles : one that the boss can control and one for home. There are even two app worlds.
    2. Browser: the browser is incredible. It has a a 485 /500 score on the html5 test which is the highest amongst mobile platforms.
    3. Hub and peek: you can peek anytime into the hub, a unified inbox, even while in another app.
    4.apps: rim is doing a lot to bring apps to the platform and it will have the biggest number at launch.
    5. Keyboard. All those that have to type a lot from their phone love blackberry full touch and qwerty keyboard. Its simply the best
    6.small cool features:. Camera app, pic destroyer on browser, etc
    These are the things that'll bring subscribers back. I must admit that their biggest challenge is marketing but i think their new cmo knows what hes doing
    The CB crowd don't seem to like the keyboard version: x10. Looks like the OS has just been chopped in half and slapped on but I do think it will be beautified more before launch.

    http://crackberry.com/new-pictures-blackberry-x10

    read the comments..... Ouch
  24. Bobert_123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    The CB crowd don't seem to like the keyboard version: x10. Looks like the OS has just been chopped in half and slapped on but I do think it will be beautified more before launch.

    http://crackberry.com/new-pictures-blackberry-x10

    read the comments..... Ouch
    It felt like RIM just smacked us diehards in the face :(
  25. Bobert_123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Unlike WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to close it? Are you trying to tell me if you remove the tile from the start screen then it'll delete the app? Wait... I'm sure if I swipe to the screen on the right the app is still there even if I delete it from the Start Screen... unless my WP is behaving oddly?



    And I'll take your webOS and raise you ten billion dollars. (Honestly, your post made me laugh so hard even though it came across as like a gamer of poker)
    An HTC WP buddy told me that, if I'm wrong sorry :) but still my point stands on BB10...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 73
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 09:15 AM
  2. 10 Cool Windows Phone 7 Games For Your WP7 Smartphone
    By Jenifer in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 11:44 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 08:31 AM
  5. My first 10 days with Windows Phone 7
    By StrykerGT in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Posting Permissions

B