Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

No one should be upset about Wordament supporting iOS.
    All
    Windows Phone users should be upset about it bringing Xbox achievements.

Not only does this remove yet another reason for people to buy WP over iOS, but it also removes yet another incentive for developers to develop on Windows Phone. Why go through all of the red tape on Windows Phone, with their 3% market share, just for a little marketing boost when I can make the exact same game with the exact same features on iOS? Wordament should have been pushed to iOS with Xbox-less achievements, just like any other iOS game. However, at the bottom of the achievements list, there should be a disclaimer saying that if it was played on WP or Windows 8, then the achievements would be added to their Xbox account. This would have maximized both Windows 8 and Windows Phone exposure, allowing both consumers and developers to see that there are perks for moving to the Microsoft ecosystem. As it is now, those perks are becoming fewer and fewer.

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

My app: Plant Guide

Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.

"exclusive" timewaster games aren't going to sell these phones. Games like wordament or alphajax, no matter how good they are on windows phone, are dime a dozen on android and ios. The only way xbox live is going to create leverage for windows phone is if games people play on the console have a windows phone component that adds value to the overall game experience.
    This will be my first and last Windows Phone unless Microsoft fixes the completely broken live tile / notification system.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Microsoft is a weird company because their only aim is profitability. There's far less integration at MS than at Apple because the teams that write software aren't tied to any particular os or overall vision for the company. They just aim to be profitable on their own. Whether it's office or skype or whatever, that's why skype was getting updates on iOS and Android even before they released a WP version. I can bet you wordament was working on an iOS (and probably android version) long before this.

Speaking for myself, Microsoft haven't ticked me off. They're merely doing what I expect from other companies. Yes, I talking about you Google.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

http://www.change.org/petitions/goog...-windows-phone

Sign it! Petition for google apps!

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I was talking about Outlook.com as well. Just use the web client.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    And to OP and those who agree with his premise, do you believe anybody out there would buy a Windows Phone simply to run Wordament?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    How many people said "Oh wow, Wordament is AMAZING! What's that? I need a Windows Phone to play it? Well, screw my iPhone, I'm getting a Lumia!"

I'd bet both of them are quite upset now.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDax3 View Post
    Last time I checked MS was a software company. Perhaps they are trying to make money by selling software.
    Exactly. Besides the game so far is only playable in English. The game is basicly unknown to everyone but people in America and England.

I never even heard about the game before visiting this forum.

Think most Europeans play Wordfeud which is available in a multitude of languages.

So if MS kept the game exclusive to WP their not going to get much profit. You got to look at it realistically and right now market share for WP is almost non existent compared to iOS and Android so to make money their need to reach that market

Sent from my RM-821_eu_denmark_251 using Board Express
    Not sure why everyone is upset about Wordament going to iOS. The developer taps into a larger audience, makes some money and we see a) improvements to the game or b) new games.

It's not as if he pulled up stakes and moved Wordament to iOS. It's still on Windows Phones....

Windows Phone users complain that iOS games never make it to Windows Phones.... so why is it bad for a Windows Phone game to make it to iOS?

The outrage should be with situations like Photosynth... developed by Microsoft but released on iOS first? And we've yet to see a Windows Phone 8 version ? I have no issue with developers cross marketing their apps on multiple platforms but the home team should take care of home field first, then look at other neighborhoods.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I agree with this. For example, I installed Wordament in Windows 8. Microsoft treats the desktop version completely different from the Windows Phone version. I expected to see my achievements in the desktop version as they appeared in the phone version; however, the desktop version is completely segregated--I have to start from scratch to get achievements I already had on the phone version in the desktop version. What fun is that?

Why didn't Microsoft allow seamless integration between the phone version and the desktop version?

I like this fact that even though they are the same game you get different achievements. I have double the achievements for ilomilo for Wp7 and Xbox. I don't have a problem with this at all.

I am pissed about all these devs bailing on Wp just as it launches wp8. Makes no sense to me at all to bail on a platform right when it launches a new version and is in the media all over the place.

I am also pissed that Wordament's move to iOS WITH achievements. Why the heck am I bothering with a "lesser" platform of WP if they are just going to give ios/android everything we get?

I love my Samsung Focus and Wp7 and have been a Wp user since day one. But this change is a fundamental one.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I dought very much that a wordament game would have persuaded someone to switch to Windows from ios or android. Its just a game. If anyone switches its going to be because their board with there current ecosystem.

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    The problem is with the achievements being ported over. It's great for the game to go cross platform, makes it far more fun (and I'm getting better percentages!).

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    It seems like Microsoft has given up on their own Windows Phones and realized its better to make money off of the software and apps than try to capture of the phone marketshare

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thyttel View Post
    Exactly. Besides the game so far is only playable in English. The game is basicly unknown to everyone but people in America and England.

I never even heard about the game before visiting this forum.

Think most Europeans play Wordfeud which is available in a multitude of languages.
    Wordament is absolutely available in several non-English languages. I've played hundreds of rounds in German for example.
    Developer

Global Posts
    3,788 Global Posts
    I don't take issue with it on iOS, but do take issue with the iOS version giving XBL achievements... They should have stuck with those iOS achievements that no one cares about, at least no one that I know on iOS.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8), Meme 8 Ball (WP8)

Judge_Daniel likes this.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Good, now I can kick some ios revolutionary ***!!

Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Is it just me or this game never made it to iOS?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123