Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Wordament did not give up on WP. They just added another platform. And Zombies, Run! while a cool app/game, it isn't really all that popular even in iOS/Android. For one, it's $8 for a running app with some very basic gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by casab1anca View Post
    Mixed reactions on Wordament. On one hand, WP just lost an exclusive but on the other hand, we get to play with friends on iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Who cares. I've paid for an amazing phone that I enjoyed even before this move, I am still going to enjoy it. Microsoft can't tick me off so easy. It is a business and they are doing it right. I am a customer and enjoying my phone purchase like day 1. Happy days.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I agree about the Wordament thing being a mixed bag. On the one hand, WP really needs some "killer apps". That's what makes an OS a success, and if MS keeps porting our best apps to iOS and Android, our OS will never take off. Good OS's have failed because of the lack of exclusive, killer apps. Look at webOS. That was an excellent OS, but they never got an app that you couldn't get on another, bigger platform. I got my wife an iPhone for Christmas (gave it to her early) and she wasn't sure if she wanted to keep it, and one of the big reasons was she missed playing Wordament. Well, she is pretty happy this morning.

On the other hand, cross platform apps could also help WP grow. If people see that the game all their friends play with each other is also on Windows Phone, they won't feel like they will be left out of the fun by going with WP. I know I have personally considered leaving WP because I want to be part of the games my friends all play with each other and talk about.

So ya, Wordament is a mixed bag but Zombie Run! sucks.

yeah I don't think it's a big deal at all. I dont know anyone who bought a Windows Phone because of Wordament. I didn't even know it existed before I got my phone. I think this move gives us something we need, the ability to play games with people on iOS and Android. hopefully its the first of many. that being said, we DO need a few exclusives, but I don't think it's a big deal. I'd rather be able to be accepted by other OS than have exclusive games that I can't play with any of my friends.
    ImAdrian23 likes this.

Let's face it. "Killer apps" are only killer apps if everyone knows about them.

Wordament is a really fun game. But it wasn't going to be a killer app for Windows Phone because hardly anyone knew about it. We'd just be playing together talking about how great it is. Yet it would do nothing for iOS users who have never played it.

When iOS and Android users play it, they'll find a great game that was on WP first. "What game is this? It's fun. Where did it come from? Oh, it was on WP first?"

It can help legitimize WP as a platform to others. There may be good games on WP first. Games they never heard of, like Wordament.

In the end, if you really like WP, you can't be afraid of certain games being available elsewhere. You either like the whole design philosophy behind the OS or you don't. And that design philosophy is what will eventually win new users, not some exclusive word games that remain largely unknown.

I completely understand when someone says that they can't go with WP doesn't have an app or game that they feel they need. I don't understand when some people want to jump ship just because someone else happens to also have something that we have.
    Thanked by:
    HartfordCT likes this.

I think the biggest thing that happened in this is allowing achievements on the ios platform. That was the one thing I could tell my friends why these phones are so kickass

WP doesn't need EXCLUSIVE killer apps. This isn't a closed ecosystem world anymore. WP needs killer apps that are cross-platform. I have friends that are die-hard apple or android fans. They wont change, but I still want apps that can communicate with them. I want to be able to play Wordament with my friends if they start playing it (now I have to tell me iOS friends about it).

The features that set WP apart aren't apps. They aren't how awesome the weather app and the calculator app are. The features that are awesome are the Live Tiles (soon to be augmented with notifications), the vanilla lockscreen capable of app integration, and people hub and such. These are tools that set WP apart. Not some game. I know games are big on smartphone ecosystems, but they need to be cross-platform to prevent limitation.

--
    Favorite Phone: Nokia Lumia
    Favorite Portable: Asus Transformer

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Rage View Post
    Can someone explain what in the world Microsoft is thinking with releasing Wordament for iOS? This is one of those games I used to convince some of my friends when I explain about Windows Phone. It seems Microsoft is picking petals off a flower each day...."fight, don't fight, fight, don't fight,...." Grrrrr!!

mjr.mn/UWKS2d
    Last time I checked MS was a software company. Perhaps they are trying to make money by selling software.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
    I think the biggest thing that happened in this is allowing achievements on the ios platform. That was the one thing I could tell my friends why these phones are so kickass
    WP kicks *** for so many other reasons too. But I guess some of it isn't that easy to just explain to someone. WP is something that you don't appreciate until you actually use for a while.

As for achievements... they'll get their tidbits. Sure, we get them first. We get them for all our XBL games, not just the few that are trickled onto iOS with that functionality.

If achievements is important, there is no better phone than WP.

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    The two newset articles on wpcentral - zombies, run and wordement basically gave up WP. SERIOUSLY?
    /sigh Cry more.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    sorry but that zombies, run app is pretty stupid imo.

i understand that the whole running from zombie theme is a motivation booster and could add some fun to exercising but it's pretty useless. you could be sitting down on a bench stuffing your mouth with 20 quarter pounders and still escape from the horde of zombies right behind you.

****e. im still 500 pounds. screw you zombies, run!

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Do you know anyone who has switched phones because of an ad filled app?
    Thanked by:
    Odog4ever likes this.

Microsoft just needs to build upon the "Live Anywhere" concept. Continue to bring the WP8, Xbox and Win8 users together in a unified ecosystem. All 3 systems can tie into the same Xbox Live experience. Make it work automagically regardless of which device they log into. Then they really need to market the **** out of platform. Show people how they can go from phone to PC to Xbox seamlessly.

I also had never even heard of Wordament before getting the phone and have yet to play it... Achievements? I'm not 14.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Who cares. I've paid for an amazing phone that I enjoyed even before this move, I am still going to enjoy it. Microsoft can't tick me off so easy. It is a business and they are doing it right. I am a customer and enjoying my phone purchase like day 1. Happy days.
    Amen!

i don't care about and don't play games on my phone
    thats whats my 130" screen is for
    Thanked by:
    Odog4ever likes this.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdom View Post
    i don't care about and don't play games on my phone
    thats whats my 130" screen is for
    You compensating for something? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tjalsma View Post
    You compensating for something? ;)
    For bad eyesight? 😃

If I had a TV that big I wouldn't need to wear contacts!

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    So... is your month back on, iPwnza? Or does this start a new month? :D
    Alex Kj likes this.

Global Posts
    30,510 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703 View Post
    Microsoft just needs to build upon the "Live Anywhere" concept. Continue to bring the WP8, Xbox and Win8 users together in a unified ecosystem. All 3 systems can tie into the same Xbox Live experience. Make it work automagically regardless of which device they log into. Then they really need to market the **** out of platform. Show people how they can go from phone to PC to Xbox seamlessly.
    I agree with this. For example, I installed Wordament in Windows 8. Microsoft treats the desktop version completely different from the Windows Phone version. I expected to see my achievements in the desktop version as they appeared in the phone version; however, the desktop version is completely segregated--I have to start from scratch to get achievements I already had on the phone version in the desktop version. What fun is that?

Why didn't Microsoft allow seamless integration between the phone version and the desktop version?

The key to bringing the Xbox crowd over is offering the WP Xbox games free with the purchase of the XBL games.
    odoggyfresh likes this.

What?! 2 (relatively unknown) games removed from WP and only another <insert f**k knows how many hundreds more> left? ****, this must be that Apocalypse the Mayans were on about...
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Outlook works great with a Mac. I use it on my MacBook Pro a couple of times a week.
    oh I am talking about outlook.com, aka hotmail which only works via pop3 😞
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts
    Let's face it, iOS & Android won 90% of the smartphone market, but there is that 10% to grab.

Global Posts
    2,401 Global Posts
    In a way I miss exclusivity on some things, but overallI think being open is the best option for the customer. At least the somewhat closed approaches of Google and Apple is what pisses me off about them, so I rather not have that for MS too.
  24. tgp

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower203 View Post
    Do you know anyone who has switched phones because of an ad filled app?
    No, but there are people who haven't switched because of several hundred thousand of them.

No one ever bought a Windows phone because of Wordament, no one, ever.
    You should be more upset about Office making it to other platforms because that's a real selling point for WP and the Surface
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast