Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By skratchz
  • 1 Post By slashd0t
  • 1 Post By spaulagain
  • 1 Post By palandri
  • 1 Post By omniusovermind
  • 1 Post By spaulagain
  • 1 Post By conanheath

Honestly, I've had my Nokia Lumia 920 for 2.5 months, and I realize I can't get by without my android.

The entire list that was on this website a few weeks back about the 8 things Microsoft must fix, really sums it up.

I've been on Android since I first started using smart phones. I used them when the majority of all good apps were for iPhone. I thought because of this I could deal with WP8 not having certain apps I've grown to love. Google was quick to get apps adopted, and I thought Microsoft would be push developers just the same, but it's not happening.

I can't play Scramble, zombie cafe, dragonvale, etc. I can't listen to Pandora (coming sometime right?? that's all I hear). I try to eat healthy and there is not a single good app for WP8 that lets me scan food products and quickly displays important info with user reviews/ratings. No Amazon MP3 or Video. No Google products, and trust me I blame Google plenty for their outright refusal to release for WP8, but I bet Microsoft would do the same if the roles were reversed, and I LOVE Googles products. gMaps is not a substitute for Google Maps. I could write pages on the problems with the apps or lack of them.

The phones not intuitive. On Android I hit a button and say take me to whatever address, and boom it gets it perfect. Speach to text is bad on WP8, not only in how it works but how it's implemented. I can't see what I say as I say it, I have to hit done. Nokia Maps, Nokia Drive, Bing Maps, etc... are horrible. I read great reviews of them and expected a lot, but it often takes awkward routes. I never use a ringtone, my phone is always on vibrate, but since sound is all tied together I have to turn up my volume just to listen to a voice mail, then forget that I did it and have my phone ring at the wrong time. My Android was a life saver in Europe due to transit apps and using it for subways, etc. I just got back from NYC and my Lumia 920 was WORTHLESS. Did it have apps? Sure, I tried Nokia Transit, and some others... but none of them functioned well, I had to use my sister-in-laws iPhone to figure out how to get anywhere on the subway.

Searching the phone is crap, why they couldn't implement search similar to how they did on surface tablets I don't know. No good notification center. I really liked the idea of Live tiles until I used them. They are like widgets for android, but worse. I can't toggle wifi on and off from a live tile, it just takes me to the system and lets me do it. Information doesn't automatically change based on location. My Weather apps don't pick up that I'm in another location and change the live tile to represent it.

The Lumia 920 has been great on 3 things. Camera, video, and speaker phone. Those are things that annoyed me about previous android phones I had, they were under powered in those areas. I realize now though that none of those are strong enough to give up everything else I have become accustomed to. For people who don't use the full potential of their phones, I can see where WP8 would be great for them, for everyone else... I don't see how you do it. I'm heading back to Android.
    andraeseus likes this.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Whatever works for you.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Yaaaaay!

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Whatever works for you.
    I c what u did there.... "works".... Lol

Agreed. Had to turn in my WP8 for an Android this week also. I knew the lack of apps was a problem, but I underestimated how big of a problem it would actually be. And then the fact that many of the good apps cost money, where as you can get a lot of great apps on Android for free! Then there's the lack of basic features like independent volume control and email forwarding with attachments. I want to love WP8 but they have a long way to go.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I love my 920, but, my Nexus 4 is always with me because WP just isn't quite ready yet IMO..

I don't blame you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    jeremyshaw likes this.

If your 920 is up for grabs, I'll take it off your hands ;-)

You say WP is not intuitive, but you're going back to Android?

Android is the least intuitive interface I have ever used. But to each their own I guess.
    Spicymikey likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,013 Global Posts
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

spaulagain- Could you explain why you think that?

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    To each their own no doubt, but I've used an excellent app for NYC subways, called....New York Subway. I don't know what the London or Euro metro apps do, but this one does it all for me when I'm visiting NYC. Surprised to read that you weren't satisfied in being able to get around NYC.

I'm glad OP is doing what works best for him. I do wonder about these "I'm leaving" soliloquies, however. What is the intent of posting them? Is there presumably a group of people who will read it and think "oh yeah, I'm dissatisfied with my WP8 but didn't realize it?"

Maybe it was my last android but it sucked bad my buddy has a gs3 ..meh boring. Looks clean but still boring he loves mine l920. I'll get him to switch
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wharfratg View Post
    I'm glad OP is doing what works best for him. I do wonder about these "I'm leaving" soliloquies, however. What is the intent of posting them? Is there presumably a group of people who will read it and think "oh yeah, I'm dissatisfied with my WP8 but didn't realize it?"
    These threads happen on every forum for every device made, and they all share the same common intention: "I'm leaving this device but I want others to post replies that agree with me so I feel supported and better about it".
    Don't have to be a psychology major to see it.

I don't know what the impetus is for people to run to other forum members for this support instead of calling their mom....
    Spicymikey likes this.

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    So your going to leave us? Just like that?
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong, I dig andriod but while my L920was out for warranty (then lost and a new sent back) I used a GNote (previous phone), and a Nexus 4 (office andriod dev phone) as a replacement on AT&T, and I couldnt wait to get back to WP8. Now that I'm back its so much better. Only thing that has me pissed off is in the intervening time USAA pulled their app from WP8.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skratchz View Post
    He doesn't actually think that, he just posts that same sort of comment ad naseum despite evincing no actually familiarity with Android, much less Android post 4.0+
    In 2.5 months, it seems like you've learned nothing about WP. Mostly everything you said seems as if you just didn't get it.

Nokia drive on my 8X trumps Google maps for the simple reason of "True" offline voice/turn by turn navigation.

You complain about app selection, when you already knew the state of it.

When I scan products, natively (sometimes), and with dedicated qr+ apps, I get useful suggestions in ratings, price, where to buy, etc.

You don't blame Google for not porting their apps, but blame Microsoft for Amazon not doing the same thing.

The MOST astonishing thing you said was that WP was not intuitive. I actually laughed when I heard that. This is probably the MoST intuitive just because of it simplicity.

I do agree with the search and volume.

Thx for sharing, but you just couldn't change your Android ways.

Fair play to you and everyone to their own. I find it funny though because you could not pay me to go back to Android now after using it for 2 years. Even when I use my Nexus 7 now it fills me with rage at the times.

You Android and iPhone guys were truly spoiled with all your features and apps. Its okay one day we'll be as cool as you guys. There's alot to love about windows phone also alot to swallow if you used other platforms, sure were still that fastest growing mobile OS but as a user it feels like it'll be forever until ppl are posting " eh im bored with windows that why im switching" rather then " I just can't use it because it's missing this and that." Oh well fellow user im glad your using what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by skratchz View Post
    Sure...

1) I picked up my roommate's Android phone and was lost instantly.

2) Android is open to customization by the carriers/OEMs. That means the interface can and IS changed between various devices and carriers. In some cases, the UI is completely different. If you do a Google image search for Android Homescreen, what do you get? A huge variety of screens, none of which look like they belong to the same OS.

3) The UI language seems to be inconsistent throughout the Android OS. Sometimes there are heavy gradients, sometimes its flat. The Icons are inconsistent.

4) It looks DATED. It seriously is a poor rip off of iOS. Although now they are pushing a flat more "Metro" theme like Windows Phone.

5) The user can customize it to pure UGLY. My girlfriend has some cheesy *** theme she applied to her Android phone and I can't figure out what half the icons mean, or where they go, let alone the rest of the UI. Windows Phone is customizable, but with a limitation that keeps the OS unified across all devices and still usable to anyone who picks up the phone.

Jelly Bean is the first version of Android I've seen that actually looks like someone put some thought into the UI, and that's still a work in progress. Android is open source and not controlled or unified by Google all that much, as a results it's a cluster**** OS that is really hard to even define as "One OS." As a UI designer, I'm picky, I don't like ugly and poorly thought out UIs. In fact, they make me ANGRY. Therefor, Android would never be an option for me even if it has all the apps in the world.
    Spicymikey likes this.

The OP is obviously very young given the list of missing apps he listed as reasons for leaving. That's not a put-down, just an observation. As a business owner who is only "young at heart" these days, you could imagine I don't have much time to play games. It's not the reason I picked up a WP 2 months ago and am glad I did. It integrates better and more securely into my windows based business world than my iPhone did. Certainly, better than an android phone would.

Which leads to the point of adding this comment. The OP sounds better off leaving WP right now. It's the right choice for him, and probably a true statement for any 18 year old kid. Android and iPhone have that market satisfied and fulfilled. WP is not a thread to them yet, or are they an imminent thread to WP.

How so? Well, as the relatively new kid on the block, MS needs to NOT invest too much time banging against that tween-teen-college kid door right now. There are other easier doors into the smartphone market. The door they need to focus on is the 30-40-50+ business community door. Seems that is what they are doing. Smart move because its really their only hope of winning. They have virtually every business running Windows in the world. Every business owner is dependent on it to run their business (with the exception of most graphic arts companies). Seeing Bloomberg's app on WP yesterday is actually more important than seeing Angry Birds.

Don't get me wrong, they ultimately want to win both. Xbox is their entry into that world. But right now they need to focus on business and leverage their stengths. They already lost that other battle. Win the Business battle and get strong to fight the consumer battle another day. That's why I'm more worried about BB than Android. Android can never kill WP, just like Linux can never kill WIndows Server. BB however, with their business customer base, can drive a fatal blow if they get through that other critical door and lock it behind them.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Don't let the fan boys beat you down OP. Wp8 sucks right now and people who think it doesn't A)have never used a smart phone, B)don't really need a smart phone or C)were BB users and WP8 is a definite improvement. I jest, but name one thing WP8 has over anybody else except fresh, new UI? WP8 is missing so much right now how could anybody think its "great"? I'm only a fan boy of what works. And there isn't one thing that WP8 does that a+a don't do and in most cases better. MS threw this OS out half assed and you people are praising them?! I have no doubt MS will get the issues fixed but we all paid top dollar for a load of crap. And its going to stay that way for a while because MS doesn't have the first clue about mobile. Their basic, straight forward OS just means unfinished and without options.
    Spicymikey likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,013 Global Posts
    I think this thread has ran its course. Closed.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com