Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gapost
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    I've been using smartphones since back in the days when WinMo and Symbian were the main players. I've used Symbian, WinMo, BB, iOS, Android and now WP. Today I was factory resetting a Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus tab before giving it to my daughter and realized something about Android. That OS is a train wreck!! It simply requires too much from the user. It crashes, freezes, lags, force stops, etc..... It's horrible!!!!!! Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Global Posts
    2,786 Global Posts
    Last night I was standing behind a woman using an android phone. It started slowing down and then froze up. She started shaking it and slapping the screen. Of course that didn't help, so she just put it on her lap and waited. After about a minute it started working again. Hahahaha
    jaj324 likes this.

I would have said "Ma'am, I couldn't help but notice your frustration. Might I make a suggestion...". Then I'd have shown her my 8X.

But yeah, I know right!!
    From the CO and my 8X
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    The main problem with Android is that it's not for novice, non-techie types. It requires alot of attention and a little OCD in order for the OS to remain fully operational. I used a Samsung GS2 Skyrocket for about 7 months b4 the Lumia 900 came out and I kept that thing running at full speed, BUT it required alot of attention. I was constantly in the task manager closing apps and using a cleaner to clean the junk left over by its inability to take care of itself. In the end, multi-tasking ends up being its own worst enemy. Put that in the hands of someone that thinks you just turn it on and use it and you end up will all the freezes, lags, forced closes, etc... This area is where both iOS and WP do really well. You actually can just turn them on and just use them.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Last night I was standing behind a woman using an android phone. It started slowing down and then froze up. She started shaking it and slapping the screen. Of course that didn't help, so she just put it on her lap and waited. After about a minute it started working again. Hahahaha
    Slapping the screen, that reminds me of way back in the day when the tv screen would start rolling and the only way to make it stop was to bang the side of the cabinet. Yeah, I'm that old.

I agree with you. I was going to make it my OS of choice when entering the smartphone world. Luckily I was swayed by the HD2. My experience with Android has been with my girlfriend's devices and all my non techie friends and coworkers who can't get it to work properly because the OS is too confusing to use or it keeps crashing.

We had to call Verizon for support because her new dual core Droid X2 was SLOWER than her single core X1. She constantly had to reset the "keyboard cache". Ok, wtf is keyboard cache and why is it: 1. a setting users can access 2. Bringing the whole phone to a screeching hault???

Android users howl all day about "moar cores brah!" but that's because Android devices need them to maintain basic functionality like sending a text message. But the Android user will tell you that the OS is perfect and these problems are all made up, right up untill Google releases a patch to fix some of these problems, then it's non stop about how much better their phone runs after patching. Then it's the whole cyanogen mod talk, but one problem, I ain't got time for that ish! Give me a phone that works, a Windows Phone. It's gotten to the point when my friends ask me for help fixing there Android, I tell them the fix is to buy a Windows Phone or at least an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    Slapping the screen, that reminds me of way back in the day when the tv screen would start rolling and the only way to make it stop was to bang the side of the cabinet. Yeah, I'm that old.
    you mean when there was a chair under the phone that was hanging in the wall. When we actually used phones to "talk" on. Kind if muss the rotary days. Not the phones, but the days
    From the CO and my 8X

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    it hears terrible.

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    The main problem with Android is that it's not for novice, non-techie types. It requires alot of attention and a little OCD in order for the OS to remain fully operational. I used a Samsung GS2 Skyrocket for about 7 months b4 the Lumia 900 came out and I kept that thing running at full speed, BUT it required alot of attention. I was constantly in the task manager closing apps and using a cleaner to clean the junk left over by its inability to take care of itself. In the end, multi-tasking ends up being its own worst enemy. Put that in the hands of someone that thinks you just turn it on and use it and you end up will all the freezes, lags, forced closes, etc... This area is where both iOS and WP do really well. You actually can just turn them on and just use them.
    Been there lol before my Lumia 620 i had a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini running ICS and i had to do pretty much the same stuff: constantly visiting task manager, cleaning cache and i even had an app to monitor cpu usage of other apps lol all of this as a daily thing! Oh and a plus: you need to root your phone in order to get rid of bloatware! Android does require a lot of attention and care from the user...since most of them don't even clean the cache at least once a month, it will start to lag and freeze up...and there are apps that need to be force closed so they are totally shut down!
    surely for the more tech savvy Android is great, you can root, tweak it, add custom rom...but for a common user gets troublesome with time!

WP pretty much takes care of all that stuff by itself so we don't need to worry much about it, which is great! Because of this ability, never experienced lags/freezes with my Lumia <3